Chapter Eight

When everyone gathered for dinner, Dominae saw the curious looks they were giving the healer. She realized that she couldn't put off saying anything any longer, so she stood and cleared her throat. All eyes turned expectantly to her. "As you all know," she said, "I haven't been feeling well. Minion went out to find me a healer, and Nia was kind enough to come. She's going to be staying on with us."

"Why?" Jason asked.

Dominae took a deep breath. "Because we're going to have a blessing bestowed upon us." She looked down at the ground, searching for a way to put the words together. In the end, it was Minion who did it for her.

"What Dominae means is, she's with child."

"What?" Torrin said, head snapping up to stare at the demon. "Dominae, is this true?"

Dominae nodded. "It's true," she said. "I found out this morning, when Minion and Nia came. She's asked to be allowed to stay and care for me, and since I-- don't know what I'm doing--" She smiled wanly. "I accepted."

Torrin's nostrils flared. "It's his, isn't it? That damnable demon's seduced you."

"No one seduced anyone," Dominae said.

"Babes do not just appear in a female without some seduction of some sort taking place," Torrin said.

Dominae said, "Sometimes it's all about consensual sex, Torrin." She shook her head. "Why are we arguing about this, though? It doesn't change anything. I'm still pregnant and I still need a healer."

"Dominae's right," said Cacia softly. She was staring at the ground before her. "She needs a healer. She might not survive otherwise."

Nia stepped forward. "If I might intrude," she said, "I did look Dominae over, at her request. She's healthy, and she probably could have gotten away with hiding this from you, her companions, for some months yet, with the right sort of care. But she didn't. She came to you and told you the truth. Who cares whose child it is? It's Dominae's as well." She nodded to the girl. "And though she's a little young, I think she will make a good mother."

"Thanks," Dominae said softly.

"Aye," said the healer, bowing to Dominae.

Dominae turned again to her companions. "My friends," she said, "I know I'm asking a lot of you. I know that we're probably walking into danger, and maybe even death, and my being pregnant changes things. But it doesn't change the promises I made. I'm going to keep my word and help you, Jason. I'm going to get you home, Cacia. I'm--" She shook her head, tears forming in her eyes. "I'm still the same person. This doesn't change me as much as you're probably thinking it does."

"Yes," Torrin said, standing, "it does. I'm sorry, Dominae, but it does."

Dominae looked over the others. "Anyone else?" she asked after a moment. "You don't have to feel obligated to me, people. If you want out, then go. I'm not going to stop anyone." Silence met her words. "If you're afraid to speak up in front of the others, for whatever reason, then find me in my tent. I'll understand." She turned and started to her tent.

Someone touched her elbow, and Dominae turned. "Domi," Cacia said, "you know I love you, right?"

"Yeah," Dominae said.

Cacia nodded and hugged Dominae. "It's you and me, against this world," Cacia whispered in her friend's ear. "You're the bravest girl I know."