Chapter 36

Iris's pace around the hallway, cannot calm her nerves down. The clicking of her heels sounded and echoed throughout the empty and quiet hallway. Cilian and Harley were sitting on the chair in the hallways, watching Iris as she paced back and forth in front of them. Cilan sighed as Iris paced past him again.

"Iris, the girls are going to be fine. They are stronger than what you give credit for," Cilan said.

"But they looked half dead when we found them! How am I not supposed to worry?" Iris retorted.

"Just sit down, Iris. They are going to be fine. Trust me, the doctors have more pressure than anyone else in this situation right now," Harley said.

Iris sighs before sitting next to Cilan throwing her head back slowly to the wall. "I hope that they were fine. It has been hours already."

Iris and a team of police were able to locate the girls in a room of an abandoned apartment. The area had been abandoned a long time ago so everything seems new, yet also very old. The paint on the buildings was worn off and no one usually went into the area there. When they walked inside the building, they noticed that instead of being very old and dusty, it was very clean, as if someone had been hired to clean the whole apartment every day. Harley joined the team after he received a call from Iris that they had located the girls.

"This town had been abandoned ten years ago due to an economic failure and other reasons, mostly is because of crimes. Most families left their homes for the city in hopes to get jobs and to find better opportunities. Only the ones that were abandoned and the old that don't have a family remain. Most people that lived here hoped that once they found a job and have enough money, they will return to the town. However, the remaining citizens living in the area vanished and cannot be found. This causes speculations and no one ever figures out what causes it to happen and where are they. Because of this, this town had been abandoned since then. A few years ago, a company wanted to buy this town. They sent their a team of surveyors to survey the land but when these people returned, they were said to caught sightings of ghosts and two of their members were lost. The two people ended up found a few days after they were declared lost, half dead. No one knows what happened to them as they refused to say anything. Since then, this place is really deserted," Harley said to Iris as they walked into the building. "This building used to be a hotel but because of the economic failure, it was also abandoned. People said that it is this hotel that was haunted the most as when they were walking across the front of the building or walking away or toward the building, they would feel eyes following after them. Also, some said that they saw young people cleaning the windows of the hotel but when they looked again, they were gone."

"Harley, stop telling ghost stories. Now, our main job is to find the girls. Whoever kidnapped them better no do anything," Iris said.

Harley just continues walking. "They won't dare unless they want the families behind the girls to go after them. They have to have the guts to do that."

The police went into the building through the stairs, checking each room on each floor. The elevators didn't work anymore due to no power so the only way is to walk. There were six floors and each floor have about fifteen to twenty rooms. They look through every room before they decided to move on to the next floor. On each floor, they checked each room and flipped everything but cannot found anyone in the building.

"Miss. We cannot found anyone in the building. Are you sure that this is the place?" a police officer asked Iris when the police force returned to the main lobby.

"Officer, we checked the location like a thousand times. We are sure that it is here. Did you truly checked every room and didn't miss any?" Iris asked as she looked at the officer while another officer was running towards him.

"We did, Miss, every single room," the officer said before turning to his comrade.

"Sir! Two of our men went missing," the comrade reported.

"Where are they last seen?" the officer asked.

"Not sure. They were at the end of the line so no one was sure when they were lost. Everyone said that they were searching for them. I guess it is until the sixth floor that they went missing or at the stairs," the comrade reported.

"Then let's found them then! What are you waiting for?" the officer said.

"I would advise you do to the sixth floor again to check. I think you said that the sixth floor has the least amount of rooms? I think there is something more in it. If you were to search every floor again, who knows how many more people we are going to lose," Harley said as he walked to the counter and touched the hard surface. "There are people besides us in this building. I would advise you to be very quiet and careful."

Iris and Harley remained at the lobby while the rest of the officers went up to the sixth floor, again. Iris looked at Harley weirdly. "Harley, if you have anything to say, better confess now," Iris said.

"How can the sixth floor have fewer rooms yet each room is the same size as the rest of the rooms on every other floor? The sixth floor has the same size. Then again, we have the attic. I remember seeing someone on the window before it disappeared. Why did the people vanish? Why is the inside clean? There is only one reason for that, there are people in here," Harley said with a smile.

..........

Song: Hello
Album: Lucifer
Artist: SHINee