chapter four

"so... you own this place?"

meliodas smiled, "yeah, neat right?"

from the mileage you had covered running away, you had both returned to meliodas' tavern.

"yeah..." you mumbled, looking around the place. "do you have a name for it?"

he turned to you, nodding. "the boar hat."

though eternally, you were heavily confused on why he had chosen that name, you stayed silent, only nodding your head in response.

"you know... i've never seen this place before." you perked a brow, sitting at the bar. it was only a yard or two away from the village - had your eyes really glanced over it?

meliodas smirked, "must've gone over your head."

though a little suspicious, you ignored him.

"you hungry?" he asked, and you watched as he washed the dishes in the sink.

"um..." you pursed your lips. "just a tad."

although you weren't able to see as his backside was toward you, a mischievous smile grew on his face.

"alright! i'll have something right up."

he turned back around, and you sent him a grateful smile.

you felt a bit guilty judging him before.

you were aware you couldn't trust him yet, but he had been welcoming and kind throughout your short time together.

"here you go!"

with a rather suspicious amount of speed, meliodas had a meal in front of you.

and to say it looked delicious was an understatement.

"i- wow." you looked at the dish with wide eyes.

never in your life had you seen a plate of food look so good.

"what are you waiting for?" he asked, smiling as he handed you a fork.

you smiled in gratitude as you grabbed the fork from him, looking down at your plate.

on the side was a slice of meat, accompanied by some salad and vegetables.

the meat looked cooked to perfection, your mouth watering as you cut a chunk off.

meliodas was staring at you, awaiting your response.

you brought the fork up to your mouth, and took a bite.

you immediately gagged, though tried to conceal your discomfort as you were afraid of offending him.

"what do you think?" meliodas asked, a mischievous grin on his face. "pretty bad, huh?"

your eyes were shut, afraid of letting any tears out as you forced yourself to swallow the food.

you couldn't describe the flavor, though you knew it'd be haunting you for a while.

"no!" you smiled, shaking your head. "it's rather salty, that's all."

meliodas looked at you, tilting his head.

your reaction was thoughtful, though he saw right through you.

it made him smile, finally knowing your intentions were well.

he needed some simple hint that you weren't evil - and your genuine presence was enough to tell him that you would be harmless toward him.

once you had gotten past the first bite, the rest wasn't as bad. though, you wondered how in the world did he manage to get the vegetables to taste revolting.