chapter ten

meliodas placed the food on the table, and you got sickly flashbacks to when you had first tried his cooking.

how could something that looks so good.... taste so revolting?

"that looks great!" mead's eyes lit up, lifting a piece of meat up to his mouth. "i can't wait to dig in to this!"

you sadly sighed for him, an amused look on your face as you watched him take a bite.

as expected, he spit it right out.

meliodas mischievously smirked, pouring a cup of ale. "i never claimed it was gonna be any good."

he walked back to the table, mead giving him a cold glare.

meliodas placed the cup in front of you and you politely shook your head. "i don't drink, but thank you."

he pouted, scooting the drink closer to you. "c'mon! i promise it's good."

you looked at him, sighing and taking it.

you hesitantly lifted the cup up to your lips, tasting the liquid.

you hummed.

it wasn't half-bad.

meliodas smiled in victory, taking a seat beside you as he sipped his own cup.

"so, is it true? all that stuff about you being friends with the seven deadly sins?" he asked mead, raising a brow.

mead grumbled, "your food gave me amnesia!"

he suddenly paused, sniffing the air, his eyes falling on your cups.

"wait a minute! are you drinking vanya ale?!"

meliodas innocently took another sip.

"hey, should kids your ages really be drinking that?"

you glared at him, sighing. "we already told you - we're not kids."

mead sat up, "man, it tastes really good, doesn't it?"

meliodas smiled, "yep."

"it's the best, sweetest, full bodied-" he paused, sheepishly looking at the floor. "or so i hear from the adults..."

you chuckled, taking another sip.

the door rang, and you turned your head, watching as elizabeth and hawk walked inside.

"oh! you two made it back." meliodas smiled, leaning against his seat.

hawk contently hummed, while elizabeth made her way to the table.

she stood beside mead, a pointed look in her eye. her hands were placed on her hips as she looked down at him.

"so, mead, i hear you're quite a prankster with a bad sense of humor." she raised a brow. "the chief in your village told me so!"

mead scoffed, "what's it to you? who do you think you are, my mother?"

he stared at elizabeth in confusion as she crouched down beside him.

"when i was young, i used to get scolded by my father for pulling pranks." she smiled.

mead rolled his eyes, "yeah, and that means what to me?"

elizabeth looked at him, a sad smile on her face. "i really wanted his attention... he wasn't the father i was born to."

mead kept quiet, looking at her.

"and one day, when i was a little girl, i climbed a really tall tree in the garden, hoping to give him a good scare." she looked down to the floor. "he turned pale as a ghost, and started up the tree to try and save me. this man, who had never climbed one in his entire life. and then, he fell out of the tree and hurt himself. though luckily, it wasn't serious."