chapter nine

you shielded your eyes with your wings as hawk's mom dug into the ground, eventually submerging herself in the soil, leaving the tavern up-top.

"you ready to leave?"

you jumped, turning around, spotting meliodas behind you.

"yeah." you smiled, noticing hawk and elizabeth beside him.

"lady y/n?" elizabeth spoke, and you turned to her with a questioning glance.

"i tried to repair it the best i could..." she shyly smiled, and you furrowed your brows, confused to what she was talking about.

from behind her back, she held out a large piece of cloth, your eyes widening.

your cloak.

you smiled widely, gently taking it from her hands.

"sir meliodas saved it from getting crushed by the cliff - he said that you'd be more content if you had it with you." she added, and you sent her a thankful look.

"thank you so much, princess." you smiled, quickly putting it on.

you turned to meliodas, bowing your head in gratitude, "thank you, meliodas."

he grinned back, throwing a thumbs up.

you couldn't help but notice a slight pink hue on his cheeks.

it was hot outside - he was probably overheated.

you brushed it off, pulling your hood up.

the cloak made you seem like a child. it covered you all the way to your feet, and it only added on to your short figure.

"better?" elizabeth asked, smiling as you momentarily struggled to push your hair away from your face.

you nodded, a content look on your face.

meliodas gave himself a mental high-five.

his goal was achieved.

you started down a trail leading to the village, a warm breeze hitting against your skin.

"i usually buy all my liquor wherever i can find it, but vanya's stuff is special." meliodas spoke, his hands behind his head as he walked. "the best water you can find is here in this village! with the gruit growing down by the river, it's used to brew vanya ale. it's got fans far and wide!"

you stopped above a bridge, your brows furrowing in concern.

the river below you was vacant.

"well, it used to." hawk commented, staring down at the empty space. "now those famous waters of theirs are bone-dry..."

"look! those herbs along the bank are dead." elizabeth pointed out, spotting the brittle remains of plants.

"what's going on?" meliodas stared below, a lace of concern in his voice.

you pursed your lips, "we might as well go check it out..." you continued down the path, eventually reaching the village.

your eyes searched around, confused as to why there were so many people huddled in one space.

"just look at all the people out here in the square!" elizabeth exclaimed, an excited smile on her face. "think it's some kind of festival?"

you squinted your eyes, stepping back after noticing the angered looks on the villager's faces.

"i don't think-"