chapter eighteen

"shh,"

you wiped elizabeth's tears, trying your best to not focus on the sound of her sobs.

meliodas had sent you with the princess, knowing that the sight of him carrying doctor dana's body back to his building would only upset you even more.

once you had broken the news of his death to elizabeth, you comforted each other. she had reacted worse than you, crying almost immediately after you had told her. you tried to keep yourself strong for her, though her own sadness was contagious.

"that poor man..." elizabeth whispered, her eyes closed tight. "what a horrible way to pass..."

she was shaking, her hand over her mouth as she muffled herself.

you sighed, resting your head in your hands as you stared at the wall in front of you.

"i'm sorry."

elizabeth turned to you, lifting her head as she stared at you in confusion. "f-for what?"

the floor suddenly seemed much more interesting, your gaze falling on it.

"i could've done more. he died a painful death - i should've helped."

her eyes softened, her long hair slightly blowing in the breeze.

she scooted closer to you.

"it's not your fault, lady y/n." she whispered, placing a hand on your back. "sir meliodas was right - it would've been a bad decision for you to save him."

you chuckled sadly, shaking your head.

"i'm trying to get myself to believe that - but it's not working."

elizabeth didn't know what to say.

finally, you were comfortable enough with her to share your emotions.

she felt accomplished - she was scared you would never open up.

to her, you seemed to be a closed-off person.

yes, you were extremely kind, and as meliodas had put it, selfless.

she knew you and the dragon sin had a closer bond than her or hawk. she felt a bit envious of the fact. she yearned to have a conversation with you, to have a friendship with you. it bothered her how you had only let yourself be close with meliodas.

she wasn't sure what she had been doing wrong - but now, here you were, talking to her.

"you know,"

elizabeth blinked at your words, her gaze encouraging you to continue.

"meliodas told me... you can't always be the hero." you recited, hugging your knees to your chest. "and well... i guess i interpreted that as no matter how many people you see fall along the way, you have to stay strong."

slowly, you stood up, standing in front of the princess.

she looked at you with wide eyes, her cheeks flushed red, stained with dry tears.