12

With what Joseph could only describe as the twinkle of an eyelid, the plane was in Nigeria. In Lagos. He had called his Nigerian friend, Steve Balogun, who was his college classmate. Steve, over the phone, had told Joseph that he will take care of his accommodation and everything that all Joseph had to do was come to Nigeria.
Joseph spotted Steve and walked to him. When the two friends met, just like in college, Steve grabbed and hugged his friend.
"Jo, Jo. Joseph McPherson. The only Jojo. Look at you!".
" Hey Steve don't start with your flattering again. You do look good".
As he took his friend's luggage, Steve said, laughing,
"No, no, no. For people like me you say, 'you're not doing bad yourself' but for people like Jojo that's when you say 'you're doing good'. You look great Jo". They were already on the road to Steve's apartment. Both kept talking about how the other has been.
"Save your strength, Jojo. We have all the time to do catch up. For now, let's get you settled in. You must be famished".
" I am. Did you get my message?"
"That your father gave you your inheritance in cash?. I did. But I could not believe it. My Dad only allows me have what I want if he can really afford it because right now, man, the EFCC are in the neck of the leaders. Money laundering is reducing now. It's progress...but really, did your Dad give you the money?". Joseph brought out the cheque book.
" Look at it. I need a good bank immediately ". Steve gasped.
" Okay, okay. You know Zenith Bank, right?". Joseph nodded. "Great, one branch is up front". They parked and hurried in. The foreigner, tall, fair and handsome, drew attention. Steve led him to the counter and asked for the manager. As the women blushed at Joseph and struggled to direct them, Steve signalled Joseph to follow him. They entered the Manager's Office.
" Wow, this is an organised system ", Joseph commented as they exited the bank and approached the car after paying in the money to his new account.
" When the Manager called their branch abroad to confirm the cheque, I was anxious whether your father would give a go-ahead. He was shocked that you didn't call him when you arrived".
"I was going to when I got settled in. The Manager was surprised at the amount. He even said he'll be my personal account manager".
As they entered the car Steve's phone rang.
" Really?", Steve asked smiling. "I'm on my way then". He cut the line.
" What's up?", Joseph asked.
"Just a big party going on to welcome you to Nigeria. I had it set up on such short notice. I've got good friends".
" You're a Senator's son, Steve, everyone would want to be your 'good friend'. And to think that you're the only son with three married older sisters. You're a spoilt brat".
"For the first time that word does not sound insulting. Hailey makes me detest those words".
Joseph for a second became sad.
" Hailey?. That's my late Mum's name".
"I'm sorry about that, 'again'. Well this Hailey is a church girl I'm chasing. She refuses to be my girlfriend even though I flaunt my money in her nose".
They parked the car in the big compound. Joseph could hear loud sound of American pop songs in the house. There were decorations and signs of 'WELCOME JOSEPH'. 'WELCOME JOJO'. There were guys and girls, ladies and men.
" Here we are, Jo. How you like it!"
"I'm loving this man. Steve look at the ladies. You're my man, Steve". Steve laughed as they hugged like the way they did back in college.
" This is all for you, man. Knock yourself out. And by the way, let your hair down. Ladies love that". Joseph removed the hair band from his ponytail and walked towards the house calling behind,
"Steve, bring in my luggage, will you?".
   When the crowd saw Joseph, they screamed. He winked at some ladies who ran and held him tight.
" Welcome Joseph", they all chorused. Steve brought wine for him. That day Joseph drank like never before although GOD helping him and in answering his father and brother's prayers, he did not take drugs.