37

He staggered to his feet. Jacob came closer, phone in hand.

"You said what?. Which Joseph?". Father and son found themselves asking.
"Hello, Jacob love. Are you there?", Beatrice called out through the phone but Jacob did not reply. She cut the call.
"Your son," the man turned yo Mr. MacPherson. "Your brother," he said to Jacob.
"Jo...seph?". Mr MacPherson held his son's hand, "Jacob, Mr. Hopkins says your brother is back to us, let's go see him." Jacob knew what this meant. If they should arrive their and it wasn't really Joseph, he knew he would faint. He did not what to imagine what will happen to his father if he the son fainted. Maybe the man will even die there. To avoid that he asked,
"Mr. Hopkins, did you confirm it that it's Jacob?. I don't..." Tears came down. He missed his brother and regretted not stopping him from leaving. Mr. MacPherson snapped.
"Jacob let's go see your brother. He's back to us." He moved like someone being blown by the wind, pulling Jacob along. Their grip on each other was firm, strong, scared afraid of what might happen.
Joseph was still kneeling when they saw him from afar. Mr. Hopkins was with them and as they came closer father and son could not call out to him so Mr. Hopkins helped them. Hearing his name Joseph lifted his head. Jacob froze. His father released his hand and ran towards Joseph. Joseph took off his hood and cap and hugged his father. They cried. The man held his son then he released him but held on to his arms to observe him. He was taller, looking more masculine and mature than he was months again. Something just felt right. An air was around him.
"Are you now a born-again christian, Joseph?". Joseph nodded and smiled.
"Yes daddy, yes I am. The family I stayed with in Nigeria were..."
"Praise be to GOD in the highest, son," the man chorused cutting in. "You do have a lot to say and a place to rest."
They were about to turn when Joseph saw the staff members looking at them. Jacob too was still standing were he stood before. Joseph could tell that his brother was happy to see him but all the anger Jacob felt about his sudden departure had returned. Jacob regained consciousness, his eyes red with tears or anger as he brushed pass them throwing the words,
"Let's get out of here, dad." The man did not notice the look on his son's face as he held Joseph, nodded and followed. Mr Hopkins and the other staff who knew Joseph was happy to see him. The chauffeur came in to carry Joseph's luggage. Mr MacPherson and Joseph entered the back seat of the official car.