30

Mr Thomas knocked the door expecting Joseph to answer. They had returned from church today Sunday and had eaten. Mrs Thomas was resting and Mr Thomas who had been reading his Bible felt he needed to talk with Joseph or just chat. Hailey preferred to run around the field with the animals and pick flowers. It made her happier.

Mr Thomas heard Joseph laughing. He entered the room and saw the balcony door opened. He cane our but his himself from the undisturbed Joseph who was busy smiling and taking pictures of Hailey with the new camera Mr Thomas had given him 'allowance' to buy. Hailey ran along the field, fell in nud and got stained but she kept smiling and Joseph found joy in taking her photograph in details. As she picked the flowers and three them in the air while turning around in circles as they tell on her, Joseph laughed and continued taking pictures totally unaware of Mr Sam's presence. Hailey too was ignorant of the fact that her pictures were being taken from the balcony by Joseph.

The man coughed. Joseph turned. Realising that it was Mr Sam, he quickly hid the camera behind him and tried to block the man from seeing his 'model'-Hailey.
"What...taking pictures. I want to take some memories and photos with me. That's all".

The man stretched ouvhis hand signifying that Joseph should give him the camera. Reluctantly, Joseph succumbed. The man went through and it was only Hailey's pictures which was obvious that she was never aware that her pictures were taken. In most of them, she smiled. Mr Sam also saw some pictures that he knew Hailey had taken before Joseph's arrival in their home.
" You have nothing else other than Hailey's pictures. Even the pictures from before your arrival here". Joseph remembered sending all of Hailey's pictures to the camera when he had had the opportunity to do so few days back. Instead of a phone he had bought a camera so he won't be tempted to call home.
"Ha, Dad", Joseph said laughing and taking the camera, " I was going to start taking other things". He snapped the man and laughed. Mr Thomas rested his hand on the balcony overlooking the compound and Hailey in their garden perceiving and picking flowers and then watering those that needs to be watered Joseph took some of her pictures again.
"She studied agriculture in the university. She has always loved planting flowers and rearing animals. When I started the barn she was the happiest. Beatrice was only happy because we got to eat chicken all the time. Marvis, before Hailey was born, also loved the animals. It was when Hailey was born that I started the chicken farm. Marvis only knew about the animals but not the chickens". He laughed. " With the way she loves chicken it's a wonder she isn't very fat by now". Joseph for the first time really looked at Hailey.
She was wearing a gown that wasn't too loose neither was it too tight. She wore a sun hat, glove and flip-flops. She stood, took off the glove and used her hanky to wipe her face. Joseph could not help taking another picture. 'Just Perfect', he thought. She resumed work.
"How does it feel, Joseph?".
" It feels amazing and tastes so too".
"Not about having to eat chicken everyday".
" Then about what, Dad?".
"About having the woman you love think of you no more than her Big Brother". Joseph gave him a surprise look but said nothing. " How does it feel?". Joseph looked at Hailey as she took off her hat and used it to fan herself. The sun against her sweaty skin made Joseph wish he could be able to take her picture continuously. She radiated feline grace and the fact that she did not love him as he did her was depressing.
"Frustrating, killing, annoying, depressing, exhausting", vane the calm but sad reply.
" That's a long list".
"That's only an introduction. That we are not talking terms like we use to be makes my heart ache all the time. If I ever had an opportunity to tell how I feel, it's gone now. She hates me for wanting to leave but yet..."
"Yet she also wants you to leave because she knows it's the right thing to do after such a long time if seperat