1

this is gonna be a bumpy ride
•••

Why the hell did God give me the rudest brother on the face of this planet? I could live with my strict father because he favoured me more than anyone else in the world (not that it's a brag to my brother—which it is), but why was I given an equally strict brother that did nothing to make my life easier?

Many people would believe that having a sibling work above you would mean I had an advantage because I was favoured, but it was the complete opposite. Because Ryder was above me, he expected the most from me; I wasn't complaining about the extra work because I loved my job and have since I started it, but he gave me pointless assignments that he knew I could easily do.

I slammed the door open right when he was in the middle of a meeting with several other men, throwing the files across the glass table until they were right in front of Ryder. He looked up at me with a raised eyebrow, his dark brown eyes glaring daggers into my lighter brown ones.

"Kiara, I'm in the middle of a very important meeting," he said, straightening his back and fixing his tie. "You're going to have to wait until it's over before you can discuss the problem with this."

He put the file back together and stood up, handing it back to me. I slapped it out of his hand and stared up at him, my jaw clenched to the point of it hurting.

"We are talking about this now," I muttered, trying my best to explode in front of the businessmen. "Get them out."

Ryder and I had a glaring contest before he sighed, closing his eyes before telling them to take five. Once the men were gone and the door was closed, Ryder rubbed his temples and stared at the file.

"What the fuck is your problem, Kiara?" He asked impatiently, staring at me with nothing but anger. "Do you have any idea how important this meeting is to me?"

"Do you have any idea how fucking retarded in the head you have to be to assign me to babysit one of the newcomers while they're training?" I exploded, running my hands through my hair and laughing out loud. "You realize while you have your best one here babysitting, some dumb-ass is out there risking this business being caught, right? Or are you just too focused on making my life a living hell?"

Ryder rolled his eyes and sat back down in his office chair. "I gave you the job I wanted to give you, get over it."

I barked out another laugh, sitting on the table. "Working shit doesn't pay my bills, dick-head," I snapped.

"You wouldn't have to pay any bills if you just took Dad's offer and took the penthouse off of the contract," Ryder retorted.

I scoffed. "I don't like having shit handed down to me, Ryder, I want to earn it myself. You, of all people, should know this. You've been milking the fuck out of this promotion and it's making you look like the biggest asshole on the planet."

"Kiara—"

"You keep doing this, Ryder! I'm the best person you've got on this team and you're giving me the worst jobs!" I continued, raising my hands in the air before they fell and slapped against my thighs. "You know I can handle it so why the hell are you being a dick?"

Ryder sighed, finally tipping his head back to look at me. I crossed my arms over my chest and raised an eyebrow, waiting for an answer. When he chewed on his lip, I knew he was trying not to turn soft on me.