12

wasn't the last chapter just sad :(
•••

I stared blankly at the television, hearing Tamara softly crying as we watched the dog from A Dog's Purpose die the first time. I probably would have been crying with her if it weren't for the fact that I was completely numb inside and out.

I took the past three days to lay in bed, too afraid at the fact that I had to see Niklaus at work. I hated this. I hated him. Why couldn't he just not be the perfect guy for me? Why did it have to take switching continents to find someone that I wanted but couldn't have?

I called Tamara over the morning after what happened and told her everything; from me lying to her about my business to the fact that I've been denying my strong feelings for Niklaus out of fear of what my crazy father would do, and my fears coming true after the night he talked to me over the cellphone. Did I say it like that or was a hiccuping mess as the tears wouldn't stop rolling down?

Take a wild guess.

"Hey," Tamara murmured to me, wiping a tear away from my cheek. I didn't even realize that it fell from my cheek. "Please don't cry. Not unless you're complimenting how good this movie is."

I choked out a laugh, shaking my head. "Sorry. I didn't even realize that I was crying."

Tamara gave me a heartfelt smile. "It's okay to cry, you know."

I nodded slowly. "I know, I know. I-I just don't want to."

She pursed her lips. "I'll make you."

"No," I laughed out, and she had tackled me off of the couch and onto the ground just as the buzzer rang. We both looked up and I pursed my lips, standing up with difficulty before walking to the front door. I opened it and smiled politely at who was at the door, but it deflated when I saw that it was only Murphy.

"Hey, ugly," he said with a cheeky grin, walking inside and looking around. "Nice pad."

"I forgot you were coming," I sighed out, shaking my head. "Uh, your room should be on the left. Don't mess it up, either. I had to clean it of work and makeup and it took longer than I thought."

"No promises," he called back as he walked away, chuckling when I threw one of my slippers at him.

"Is that the annoying twat you were talking about?" Tamara asked with a chuckle.

I nodded my head, running a hand through my hair. "He said he's going to take me out for some drinks so we can talk about the... predicament I'm in."

She smiled. "That's good." She sat back on the couch and I laid my head on her lap. "You're going to have to see him eventually, babe. He's your boss and there's only so many sick days you can take."

I nodded slowly, turning my attention to the movie. "I know..."

"And if you want him to stay," she continued, "you're eventually going to have to tell him what's going on."

I sighed again, nodding. "I know. I-I just want to give it a bit before having to carry on with my life. I'll go to work tomorrow, though."

She nodded with a smile. "See? You're already getting better."

I chuckled softly before my attention went to Murphy, who walked out of the bedroom without a shirt while calling out, "You have beer?"