18

yay, more chapters
•••

"I... can explain that," Niklaus told me, watching as I raised one eyebrow. "You probably won't like my explanation, though."

I rolled my eyes, leaking back in my chair. "You're off to a great start, St. Clair. Speak."

Niklaus sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Alright. It's gonna sound bloody insane but... I've sort of have a secret life."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Please tell me that isn't your explanation because if so, I'm walking out the fucking door."

"Let me keep speaking," Niklaus said, glaring at me. "So, for the last few years, I've been working with an underground organization—literally nobody knows about them besides the people they reach out to—and took on the responsibility to eliminate people in the world who have done nothing good for it and have to be erased.

"A few months ago, six months to be exact, my boss gave me a mission to eliminate Terrance Quinns, which would be your father. I almost succeeded, too, because I had a plane ready and everything already set up for me the night I went clubbing..."

"And then you met me," I finished, staring into my bowl of chilli.

"Don't necessarily say it like it's a bad thing," he told me but I remained silent. "I didn't even know you were his daughter until the next morning, Kiara. It wasn't until I was called by my partner that I knew and I had to get you out before my boss found out, as well as yours."

"So, you knew who I was and what I was doing in Manchester, but you still decided to play dumb?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed together as I took in the information. "You're a hitman?"

"Not a hitman—I'm an agent," Nik responded, "and I didn't have much of a choice, Kiara. It wouldn't have been the smartest thing to tell the woman sent to kill me that the UK's prime minister has an agent for a son, whose managed to slip passed unexpected deaths without even being detected."

"Then why not tell me sooner, for Christ's sake?" I pushed, scoffing. "For crying out loud, Niklaus, we're basically dating now and you didn't think that it would be a smart idea to tell me that you were hired to kill my father?"

"It never crossed my mind that it would be such a big deal that I'm trying to kill the man we both want dead," Niklaus told me, running a hand through his hair. "You hate your father so why does it matter if he's dead or not?"

My mouth closed and my stare became blank. "Because I wanted to do it. I wanted to be the one to see the light leave his eyes—not you. Not only did you plan on killing my father without telling me beforehand but you were going to do it without me there, after I told you about all of the shit that he did to me and exactly why I want him dead."

Niklaus ran a hand through his hair. "I was going to tell you, Kiara—"

"After he was dead," I snapped back. "If you're going then so am I."

"You're funny," he said with a single laugh. "If your father found out that you're with the man he's been trying to kill for three years, it would ruin what I have set up already and put your life at risk. I'm not willing to take that risk so you're sitting your ass home."