14

the one that got away

i was june and you were my johnny cash
never one without the other, we made a pact

        "sometimes when i miss you, i put those records on," the two sang in unison, which made them look at each other with a small blush on their face. coincidence?

        "wh— how— what??" jaemin looked at jeno with furrowed eyebrows mixed with a surprised expression on his face.

        "i— i don't know?? i just felt like singing?" jeno responded but he, himself, was surprised as well. he diverted his eyes to the road once again, his face still a little red.

        what's this feeling?

        jeno shook his head and focused on the driveway as the song continued to play. maybe they just missed renjun that much.

        after awhile, they reached their destination, the forest. renjun wasn't really seen going here ever in his life, but the possibilities of him being brought here is 50%. (not that they're trying to generalize crimes wherein suspects bring their victims to places that barely anyone has been before.)

        they gulped at how eerie looking the forest was as they peeked through the car's window. it seemed pretty big, a few hours and two people wouldn't be enough to thoroughly look into this place.

        "should we go?" jeno asked, placing his hand on jaemin's shoulder, making the latter flinch. "o-oh! yes, yes. let's go," he nods and at that, the two got out of the car feeling a little scared.

        "j-jeno," the younger called out softly, though enough for jeno to hear. "yes, jaemin?" he walked over to the other, with a small smile.

        pang!

        oh shit.

        jeno's smile did things to him, the same things that renjun's smile did. he felt at peace, he didn't feel scared anymore. the image of jeno's smile made him feel relaxed.

        well, he's fucked up.

        "n-nothing. nevermind," jaemin shook his head and looked down in hopes of him not blushing since he feels warm as of the moment.

        for some reason, jeno took jaemin's hand in his and squeezed it tightly. "look, if you're scared, we can do this tomorrow with more people. i don't wanna force you," jeno said in a soothing tone, looking at jaemin even if he was looking away from him.

        "i-i am scared," the younger mumbled, looking further away. "but i want to go! i want to find renjun as soon as possible. i want to see him already!! i miss him so much," he mumbles the last part mostly to himself, though jeno looked at him with adoration in his eyes.

        "alright, look, jaemin. we'll go there today, but you have to hold my hand. i promise i won't let go and so should you, okay?" jeno lifted jaemin's chin so he would look at him. "look at me. i promise you that."

        jaemin did what he was told, looking at the other in the eye. he could feel the sincerity in the other's words. though, something else distracted him.

        their faces were a few centimeters apart.

        the two quickly retracted themselves and looked away. jeno slowly took the other's hand before saying, "alright, let's go."

        and at that, the two walked inside the forest, hand-in-hand.

*°•'♡'•°*

        "sir, lee jeno and na jaemin are entering the forest."

        only them?

        "yes sir. they're walking hand-in-hand."

        hm. don't do anything. discreetly take a picture of them.

        "...."

        "already took a photo of them, sir."

        great. now bring it here.

        "yes sir."

*°•'♡'•°*

        "jeno," jaemin said softly as they walked in the forest, making the said boy look at him. "what would you do if we found renjun?"

        "well," jeno started. "once we got him safely and we found out who the kidnapper is, i'll make sure he feels safe and loved," he says, looking at the path and not at jaemin. "but... since i know you like him too, i don't mind going out with the two of you together."

        and that made jaemin's heart melt.

i am sincerely sorry for not updating for like what a moNTH SHDHHHFHD IM SO SORRY OH MY GOD I'LL TRY TO UPDATE MORE !!!! IM SORRY TO KEEP YOU WAITING