Chapter 9

The next morning I walked to school and when I got there the school looked like a mad house. There was writing everywhere and the police were there. Everyone was standing outside the school. I saw people from the hallway and some of the jocks that Ashley and Cameron were friends with.

“What’s going on?” I asked the first person I saw.

“There was a huge fight about forty people were involved.”

“Are they canceling school?”

“I don’t know, no one knows what’s going on.” About a half hour later they had us all go into the auditorium where they told us school would be canceled for the rest of the day.  I texted my mom to tell her school had been canceled, she texted back saying Andy already told her. I told her I was hanging out with a friend. I texted Travis and told him that school was canceled.

As I was walking out of the auditorium I ran into someone. “I’m so sorry.” I said but then saw who I ran into.

“You’d better be.” Ashley told me but I just kept walking. When I got out side everyone was standing around talking I saw my friends but at the end of the side walk was Travis and he was leaning against the black car. He saw me and was smiling; I walked to my friends to talk before I left.

“What’s Travis doing here?” Charlie asked.

“I’m helping him.” I told her and thought about what my mom had said and Andy and them, that I was dating Travis or going to date him. But I’m not ready to date anyone yet. Cameron was my first real boyfriend. Before him my relationships only lasted a couple months.

“With what?” She asked but I knew her mind all too well.

“His bike got stolen and he needs someone to drive the car after he gets a new one.”

“Why doesn’t he just trade it in?” Gale asked.

“He’s borrowing the car.”

“Okay, fine, but we all know you’re going to end up dating the guy.” Charlie added and Gale and Ashby nodded in agreement.

“He’s nicer than my last one.” I told them but I didn’t know what I said until it was too late.

“Really, he’s nicer.” Ashby asked speaking up for the first time.

“Yeah he is, but I’m not dating him.”

“Well, I won’t rub it in your face when you start, well much.” Charlie told me and I walked away. I wasn’t made at her for saying that she would rub it in my face. That was just Charlie; I was upset that everyone seems to think they know what’s going to happen before I do. And there all trying to get me to see it. What if I’m not ready to see it yet or I’m not supposed to see it yet.

As I walked closer I realized that Travis was grinning. He had heard everything they had said and that I had said. “You didn’t tell them about are date, are you afraid they won’t approve of me.”

“I know they don’t approve of you and this is not a date your bike got stolen while you were helping me.”

“Okay, but I’m counting this as are first date.”

“Okay, can we just get this over with?”

“Yesterday you wanted to skip school to help me and now that you don’t have school, you can’t wait to get it over with. I think your sending me mixed signals.” I didn’t know how to answer it so I didn’t. “Did you put you last boyfriend through the whole I like you/I don’t like you thing?”

“You’re not my boyfriend.” I told him frowning and his grin dropped.

“Yet.” Then his grin was back again.