Chapter 14

Travis came over and kept me company while my parents were gone, then would leave when my friends came over with my homework. He did that for the entire week no matter what I wanted to watch he stayed. He tried to do stuff for me but I yelled at him every time. On Friday he stayed even when my friends got there, my parents were going out, Lexy was going to a friend’s house and Andy was going to a party with his friends.

“You don’t all have to be here?” I told them.

“So, we want to help.” Ashby told me smiling.

“Well I’m tired of everyone treating me different, Charlie hasn’t said one thing about me hanging out with Travis, and no one wants to tell me what’s going on with Cameron and Ashley.” I looked at Travis. “And you won’t let me do anything for myself; I thought at least you wouldn’t treat me differently.” I looked back to my friends. “This is why I didn’t tell you what happened.”

“What’s going on with you two then, you’re always together?” she asked and I knew she was just doing it so I would stop yelling at them. But it felt different between us, like I was over Cameron. I looked at him and I didn’t know anymore. “There is something now, isn’t their?” She asked smiling.

“I don’t know, maybe.” I told them then looked at Travis who was smiling. “I already told you I like you but I had to get over Cameron.” I didn’t really want to have this conversation in front of my friends. It wasn’t that I’m shy, well at least very rarely I’m shy, it’s just that this is more of a conversation for just him and me to have. Not Ashby, Charlie, Gale, him, and me to have.

“What better way to get over him than for him to make his friends try to kill you?” Charlie said. “Now that that’s figured out, maybe we should come up with a plan against Cameron and Ashley.”

“Right now we should just wait and stay together; I would have had a better chance if I would have waited for Charlie.”

“So we should pick partners?” Ashby asked.

“Yeah.”

“Well we all know your partner, now that you’ve figured out the mess in your head.” Charlie said.

“Thanks.” I said and rolled my eyes.

“Wait who do I get?” Ashby asked.

“You can come with us, there’s no way you’re going to want to be around that.” Charlie told her than pointed to Travis and me.

“Well, were harder to kill so you’re going to need and extra person.” I told her.

“I’m immortal too.”

“Well I’m human so were going to need the extra help to keep me alive.” Gale told her smiling.

“Gale you’re not human, didn’t Spencer tell you?” He told her and looked shocked that I did tell her.

“Crap that was after they got kidnapped I completely forgot.” I said and hit my head with the heel of my hand.

“I’m not human what am I?” She asked him.

“A brownie,” he told her.

“Brownies are short.” She said and looked disappointed.

“No, their normal size, people like to exaggerate what they see or change it.” She still looked disappointed.

“Then why did my family abandon me?” She asked and looked confused.

“They probably made you mad, so they gave you to your aunt; she’s the same thing you are. She could raise you in a calm environment and help you.” He told her but she looked confused. “Brownies can get extremely violent if you make them made. They will destroy everything they can touch. But also they like to help people.”