Chapter 9 - It's My Party

"So he just broke up with you?" I said on the phone to Kitty walking through the halls. "Just like that? Because you said something nasty to Marley?"

"Yes," She said sighing. "All because of that child that escaped her finger-licking, lard-loving, Gilbert-Grape-looking mama. Stupid bitch."

"Retract the claws Kitty-cat." I said laughing. "Anyway, I better go, I have to go practice for my audition."

"Good luck biatch." She said before hanging up.

I smiled and put my books in my locker and made my way to the auditorium. When I reached the back stage entrance I saw Artie coming out, I thought the auditorium was going to be empty for at least another hour but apparently not.

I heard someone sing, I'm pretty sure it was Finn. I could recognised his voice from regionals and nationals and other competitions him and Quinn were in.

Finn: He saw stars in his eyes and the very next day.
Ryder: Bought a beat up six string in a second-hand store. Didn't know how to play it but he knew for sure, that one guitar, felt good in his hands, didn't take long to understand. So he started rockin' ain't never gonna stop.

That's when I stopped what I was doing, I dropped my music on the floor. Ryder can sing. He's amazing, like seriously amazing.

Ryder leading with Finn: Gotta keep on rockin'
Ryder: Someday he's gonna make it to the top and be a jukebox hero.
Ryder leading with Finn: Got stars in his eyes.
Ryder leading with Finn: He's a jukebox hero yeah, jukebox hero oh.
Finn: Oh-oh.
Ryder leading with Finn: With that one guitar he'll come alive, come alive tonight.

Ryder was so amazing, I was glued to the floor, frozen. I couldn't move, it was as if there was a connection when he sung, it gave me goosebumps.

Ryder (Finn): Yeah, he's gotta keep a-rockin', (He just can't stop), he just can't stop. Gotta keep on rockin'.
Finn: That boy has got to stay on top.
Ryder leading with Finn: He's gonna be a jukebox hero, got stars in his eyes yeah, he's just a jukebox hero. Jukebox hero, jukebox hero. He's got stars in his eyes, stars in his eyes.

"Man, that was awesome." Ryder said finishing the song. "So what do you think? Should I audition?"

"Dude," Finn said putting his hand on his shoulder."You just did."

Ryder looked so happy and overwhelmed, he is definitely getting Danny. I realised that I was in view of them so I quickly darted behind the curtain dragging my music in with me once I was on the floor.

Finn left leaving Ryder on his own to take in everything that happened. He really did look like he enjoyed himself, like this was his home: being on stage. I quickly pulled myself up and made my way out on stage with him.

"Hey," I said giving him a fright. "I'm Effie-"

"Yeah," He said nodding. "I remember you. I'm sorry about your top by the way."

"Oh no it's okay," I said smiling. "It was my sisters. You were seriously amazing just there, like seriously amazing."

"You think?" He said scratching the back of his neck. "I really enjoyed it but, I don't think I'll get Danny."

"What?" I said choking. "Of course you will. I actually came here to practice but then someone was on the stage singing his heart out."

He started laughing with me. I smiled at him before walking over and spreading my music over the piano. I had so many options to chose from, I was planning on doing a Jessie J song to show off my vocal range but I don't know.