Two

Well... this seems pretty easy.

You sat in the living room, slowly going through your new book. Why you had even purchased it, you weren't entirely sure, but it was a little too late to reason with yourself over it, now that it was in your hands.

The book detailed many specific rituals to summon specific demons for certain purposes, but there seemed to be some basic guidelines that the rituals had to follow. There was even a ritual to simply summon a random demon at any given time.

This was the one that had intrigued you the most, and you read it thoroughly. This was probably your best bet to successfully summon something.

Yeah, right, summon a real, live demon? They don't even exist...

*~♡~*

Hours later you found yourself drawing on the floor in chalk. The summoning circle had to be precise, and so you had had to redraw the circles and sigils several times before they looked correct.

Nearby, sitting in a box, was a rabbit. It was a shame that it had to be done, but the ritual required a sacrifice, and you couldn't very well sacrifice yourself or someone else, now, could you?

With the circle complete you stood up, brushing the chalk dust off of your body. Then you returned downstairs, grabbing the box of emergency candles from below the kitchen sink. It was a pack of twenty, and you hoped it would be enough.

You scattered them throughout your bedroom, around your summoning circle and the rest of the surroundings. The glow from the flames lit the room in an eerie sort of way, the light dancing in your eyes as you looked around approvingly.

Then it was time for the messy part.

You lifted the rabbit easily- it was small, probably not even a year old, and silently offered an apology as you snapped it's neck. It died instantly, and you laid it in the middle of the circle, frowning slightly. Where was the remorse for killing such an innocent creature?

No, it isn't like I don't have any... this whole thing just feels so surreal, like I'm watching it through the eyes of another human being...

You eyed the dead animal for a little while before turning to the book. There were words that needed to be said, then came the bloodier part of the ritual. And so you spoke the first part of the incantation, not understanding what it was you were saying as it was in an entirely different language from what you had ever seen. Was it Latin? Or some stranger, more foreign tongue that had never seen the light of day until now?

With the first part read, you swallowed hard and picked up the knife. This was the most crucial part of the ritual: virgin blood. The book had been explicit, saying that only virginal blood would summon a proper demon. And you, of course, were a virgin. It wasn't something to be ashamed of, you simply hadn't found the time to put in any effort in losing it.

You sliced the back of your arm, wincing and crying out as you did so. The blood flowed freely from the new wound, and you let it drip onto the hardwood floor in the middle of the circle, sprinkling it a little bit as well.

Then you finished the incantation, as your virgin blood seeped into the wood, soaking the chalk drawings in small places.

Then... nothing happened.

What the fuck? Did I say the wrong words? Am I missing some key element to the ritual or something?

The all too familiar wave of numbness was threatening to take hold of you again. Really, what were you expecting? A flash of hellfire, and some red-skinned being jumping out of the summoning circle?

The rabbit was gone.

Your heart began to pick up speed as you realized that the rabbit had disappeared. You certainly didn't move the thing, and there was nobody else in the house that could have, either.

Unless... this is real...

Pulse in your throat you grabbed a nearby towel to staunch the flow of blood from your arm. Your heart was beating as fast as it possibly could, and you vaguely wondered if you would have a heart attack.

All at once, like a puff of wind had blown in from the window, all of the candles you had lit were blown out. But you felt no such wind, and the window was closed as it was. Enshrouded in darkness, your hands clenched into fists. The color had drained from your face, not that you would have been able to see it.

Towel still pressed to your arm you stood up slowly, eyes trying to see shapes in the shadows of the rooms. Trying to figure out if any of them were humanoid in nature. But you found nothing of the sort.

That doesn't explain the fucking candles. Or the fucking rabbit! I bet if I looked hard enough, my blood is gone, too!

Fear began to creep over you, its icy tendrils enveloping you in a numb cocoon, unable to move from your spot. You looked down at where your circle still lay; the rabbit might have been gone, but something was there. It wasn't moving, and was small enough to be picked up, so at least it wasn't some live vermin thing you would have to get rid of.

Bending down you picked up the object and frowned. It turned out to be a candle, with a small piece of heavy paper attached by a string. Eyeing the paper carefully, you rolled your eyes at last and went to turn the lights on so you could actually read the damned thing.

There on the paper, scribbled in an elegant script, was the note:

For you.
-D

D? What sort of name was that? And who- or rather, what- had placed the candle there? Curious, you smelled the candle; it was the delicious scent of sweet cinnamon, making your mouth water. The smile on your face had appeared rather unexpectedly, and you felt as though it couldn't be helped.

The ritual had, in a way, been successful. The rabbit and your blood were both gone, leaving nothing but the chalk marks on the floor, clean as though you had never bled there to begin with. The flow of blood had stopped, so you set the cinnamon candle aside to wrap up your arm.

I went into this thing expecting some torturous demon from Hell and got a candle from a mystery person. I guess I could call that a success?