C H A P T E R # 0 3

° ° °

° ° °

The woman that walked into the office was the person who can grace any billboard or magazine cover, she was far better than those two dimensional photoshopped models.

There was boldness in her, confidence in her body movement and softness in her voice. Her cream suit had a tailored look that was bold against her pale-skin.

Her heels clinking as she made way to her office room, greeting everybody passing through. Placing her handbag on the small couch in the office, she took her seat and started going through some files.

After ordering a green-tea, she picked out some more files from the cupboard beside her and was fully focused on her work until kartik barged in.

"Hey, princess!" he walked in with a smile on his face. She looked at him and rolled her eyes.

"Why can't you just call me Sara?" she asked, annoyed. She hated nicknames for some unknown reason.

"What's wrong with princess?" he asked and she shook her head. Kartik was a true admirer of Sara. For him, she was no less than a princess.

He loved her curves of softness. She was the most astonishing girl he'd ever met, easy to talk to and fun to be around. Their's beauty in being a good listener, someone who seeks to make connections and joy and see the things from new perspectives.

To him, she had safe eyes, perhaps that's the best way to say it. She had the kind of beauty that made those billboard-princesses look as thin as they are, she was something robust and real.

"What do you want kartik?" she asked, still busy in her work.

"Actually I came here to ask you, have you short-listed the names yet?" he asked, taking a seat in front of her.

"What names?" she asked as she typed something on her computer.

"For Varun's secretary. Duh!" he reminded her.

"Oh yeah, that! Wait a minute!" she stood up and walked towards the cupboard.

"Are you free tonight?" kartik asked her.

"No. I've got plenty of work to do." she replied as she took out some files from the cupboard.

"Here you go! These are the people that I short-listed." she said handing him the files as she stood in front of him.

"People?" he raised his eyebrow.

"Women!" she re-phrased.

"Thank you!" he said with a smile.

"You can go now!" she told him and a frown appeared on his forehead.

"What if I don't want to?" he pouted like a child.

"Kartik! Please, I've got a lot of work to do. Don't make it hard for me." she groaned in frustration.

"Okay, fine. I'm going." he stood up from his position and made his way towards the door.

"But before that--" he again approached her and quickly placed a soft kiss on her cheek before running out of the office.

"Ughh!!!" she stomped her feet on the floor and then went back to whatever she was doing.

"Varun, here you go!" kartik said handing varun the same files that Sara gave him.

"What are these?" he asked as he pour some wine into the glass.

"The CV's of women short-listed." he replied.

"Want some?" varun asked as he started pouring wine for the second time.

"No. Thanks. I don't drink during office hours." he refused.

"So, how's it going with Sara?" he asked drinking his second glass of wine in a go.

"I don't know. She's playing hard to get." kartik scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh come on, if I were you. She would've been in my bed already." varun smirked.

"Yeah, that's you. Not me. I don't love women for their body." he told him.

"Bullshit!" he chuckled.

"I love her! And I won't do anything to hurt her." he confessed.

"Don't do this to yourself kartik. Love is an illusion." he told him.

"No. Love is the most beautiful feeling you'll ever experienced." kartik explained.

"Whatever. You may leave now. I've to work." varun said as he started going through the CV's.

"Why everyone keeps throwing me out of their offices? " kartik complained before making his way outside.

The old father-clock in the corner of the living room chimed. Night had finally befallen, wrapping the day in its dark blanket, filling the inky night sky with its specks of light - the sun slowly set against the horizon allowing the full moon rise to its glorious beauty.

Varun switch off the television and headed towards his room to get some sleep. He put the vodka bottle back to his private bar, which was just beside his bedroom.

Wrapping himself with sheets, he closed his eyes around midnight trying to get some sleep but it was ruined with the ringing of his phone.

He picked his phone from the site-table and saw his lawyer's number flashing on his screen. He ignored it and again closed his eyes for some sleep only to be disturbed by the call again.

"What the hell could be so important that you're calling me this late at night?" he yelled as he answered the call.

"I'm sorry, sir. But this sure as hell important." he told him.

"Speak. I'm listening." he told him.

"There's a little girl who's saying that you are her father." the lawyer told him and he immediately sat up.

"What?" he was shocked.

"Yes. She's currently living in an orphanage. Her birth-certificate has your name as her father." he told him.

"Are you insane? That's fucking impossible!" he shouted.

"If you don't want court to take this matter then you should come tomorrow to my office and sort out this matter." the lawyer told him.

"Fine. I'll be there!" he said before disconnecting the call. From this night, many things were going to change for him. He was about to enter something that he couldn't get rid of.

° ° °