C H A P T E R # 1 4

° ° °

° ° °

Getting a job in a well-established business had always been her dream and now that she is the secretary of one of the most successful business man, she couldn't help but feel proud of everything she has achieved till now.

You can't say that her life was great but it was surely getting better, now that she was spending much time away from home and her step-father. Every morning she's excited to go to office, not because she love her work that much,but because she get to spend time with Rhea.

In her full of chaos life, Rhea was that little happy moment which she cherished the most. She sometimes wonder how an arrogant man like Mr. Dhawan is the father of such an adorable little human. Spending time with Rhea takes her back to the days when her mother was alive and how she used to treat her just like she treats Rhea.

Her morning never has a perfect start due to the quarrels of her step-father and this morning was no less.

"What do you mean?" she asked confused.

"I'm asking you to look for a new house. We can't stay here anymore." he told her.

"What the hell are you talking about? Why would I leave the house which my parents bought after so many hardships?" she raised her voice slightly.

"We have to leave this house, don't  you understand?" he shouted.

"I will not leave this house! And where will we go, huh? I don't have money to buy a new house!" she shouted back.

"We can go on rent!" he suggested.

"Why are you so determine to leave this house? What did you do? Tell me!" she yelled.

"I put it on bet!" he mumbled.

"You did what?" she couldn't believe her ears.

"I didn't have any money. I put the house on bet and I lost it!" he replied, with a little bit of guilt in his tone.

"As far as I know. Your friends aren't that rich to put up a bet like this. Who were you betting against?" she asked with moist eyes.

"I don't know. They were some rich people. I haven't seen them in our area before. They were offering a huge bet, I thought if I could win this...." he trailed off.

"But you lost! Were you in your senses?" she yelled as a lone tear escaped her eye.

"We have only two days! We either have to pay them the worth of this house or we have to give the house to them." he told her, his head hung low.

"You're a monster! You don't care about anyone but yourself!" by saying this she left the house with tears in her eyes.

Sitting in her office, she was still silently crying, not able to believe that she has to give up her house. It wasn't just a house for her, it was the place where she was born, where she took her first steps, where her father died, where her mother died. All the memories were there.

She quickly wiped away the tears as she heard a knock on the door and composed herself.

"Come in." her voice somewhat trembling.

"Shraddha!" and there she was, her little packet of happiness.

"Hi baby!" she scooped Rhea in her arms and kissed her cheek.

"Why didn't you come to take me from daddy's office today?" she asked as shraddha sat down on the couch with Rhea on her lap.

"I had some work." she replied.

"You forgot about me, didn't you?" Rhea asked as she turned her face to look at her.

"I can never forget about you Rhee! You're my little munchkin." she pulled her cheeks lightly.

"I love you!" Rhea hugged her and Shraddha felt a warmth grew inside her.

"I love you too!" she replied and unknowingly a tear escaped her eye, which didn't get unnoticed by Rhea.

"You're crying!" she said as she cupped shraddha's face with her little  hands.

"I'm not. It's just....." she wiped the tear off her face.

"It's okay! I get sad too when I miss my mom. Are you missing your mom?" Rhea asked innocently and she nodded as more tears formed in her eyes.

"Don't cry. You got me to talk to!" she said as she threw her little arms around shraddha's neck, embracing her in a tight hug.

"Sara are you done checking the files that I gave you?" Kartik asked and she nodded.

"OK. Send them to my office." by saying this he turned around to leave but she grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"Can we talk about other things except office work?" she asked as he manged to free his arm from her grip.

"I don't think there's anything to talk about!" he shrugged his shoulders and sara exhaled a long breath.

"Dinner. Tomorrow night at my house. And I swear if you don't come...." she was cut off.

"Fine. I'll be there." by saying this he left the office and she smiled to herself.

"Ehm!" he cleared his throat before entering her office.

"Sir! I was just about to come. I've prepared the schedule!" shraddha said getting up from the couch.

"It's okay! I just came here to check on Rhea!" Varun said politely.

"Rhea, I ordered your favorite chocolate milkshake and donuts. It's in my office. Go have it!" he told her and her eyes immediately lit up.

"Thank you daddy!" she exclaimed and ran out of shraddha's cabin.

They both looked at each other awkwardly before varun moved to sit on the couch and motioned her to sit as well.

"Is everything okay, sir?" she asked as she took a seat beside him.

"Yeah-um. . . So, how's everything going? Are you enjoying working here?" he asked her and she looked at him confused as it was very unlikely of him asking such questions.

"It's good! I'm pretty satisfied." she answered.

"Glad to hear that!" he chuckled nervously.

"So, are you single?" he asked outta nowhere and immediately regretted it.

"Excuse me?" she was shocked by his question.

"Fuck!" he muttered under his breath.

"I-I better go!" by saying this he left the office leaving her confuse behind.

° ° °