C H A P T E R # 0 7

° ° °

° ° °

The lingering light was obliterated by the rapidly falling night. The once purple and salmon sky turned in to a vast expanse of jet-black that engulfed the town.

A canopy of luminous stars materialized amongst the ocean of blackness. Some were dull, merely flickering into existence every now and then, but there was an adequate amount of shimmering stars to illuminate the dark, moonless night.

He always liked the night time for some reasons. He liked it becaue it hid his flaws, his imperfections, his scars.

He loved the darkness surrounding him, it led him through the night. It's calming presence made him slowly close his eyes, his head resting on the couch. The darkness made his soul run free.

He just went through a DNA test a few days ago for the first time in his life. Despite of his heart denying the fact that he needs to do this test, his mind had some other thoughts.

On the other hand, his lawyer also forced him to take the test because if he's really interested in taking in the girl, the DNA report can be a lot helpful.

After the first time he met Rhea, he never went to the orphanage again to meet the little girl. He didn't want to get emotionally attached with her. What if the results of the test are not what everyone's expecting?

He did felt bad for breaking his promise of visiting the orphanage again and meeting her, but at the same time he didn't wanna get her hopes high. He didn't want to break that little heart which is already been through a lot.

Taking the bottle of whisky in his hand to the television was a habit varun was never prepared to break. After a day full of shit he just wanted to obliterate few hours of stress-laced boredom.

The whisky turned down the volume of his thoughts. It brought him the memories of old times, and he let himself dwell in them rather than think. And that moment he was there and not, existing in two moments. Somehow it steadied him, gave him the resolve to go on.

Flipping the channels on the television , with his feet resting on the center table he took another sip from the bottle. He finally put on a random movie which he clearly had no idea about.

It was just ten-thirty but few minutes into the movie, he eyes started becoming heavy. Before he could fully surrender himself to sleep his phone went off.

"Speak!" he attended the call, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"The test results are here, sir!" it was his lawyer. He immediately shot up from his position.

"And?" his curiosity was on the edge, his heart beating faster like it was about to get ripped out of his chest.

"You're the father!" this sentence was enough to make his whole life upside-down.

"Hello? Sir? Are you there?" his lawyer asked upon not getting any response from him. Without saying a single word he hung up the call.

He tossed his mobile to the couch as he ran his hands through his face in frustration. He picked up his mobile again and dialed a number.

"What the hell was so important that you couldn't resist till morning?" kartik barged into Varun's mini bar.

"Sit down first. Will you?" varun motioned him to a stool in front of him. Kartik shook his head before placing himself on the stool.

"Here." Varun pour some whisky into the glass and put it in front of him. Kartik just looked at him.

"Trust me. You're gonna need this for what I'm about to tell you." Varun told him and he took the glass.

"So, what's the great emergency?" kartik asked, quoting with his fingers.

"Do you remember Tara? Tara sutaria?" he asked.

"Tara...." kartik furrowed his eyebrows at him.

"Yeah, don't you remember. She was my secretary few years back." varun said.

"Oh. Oh! That psycho-girlfriend of yours, who took drugs like a three-time meal." kartik took the first sip of the whisky.

"She's wasn't my girlfriend." varun glared at him.

"Well, you guys used to hook-up a lot." he shrugged his shoulders.

"Whatever. I met her daughter." varun said as he scratched the back of his neck.

"What? She has a daughter?" he asked and varun nodded.

"And where did you met her?" kartik asked.

"You know when I took two days off from the office. I went to meet her at the orphanage." he replied.

"Wait. Hold on a minute. What's her daughter doing in an orphanage? Is Tara dead? Even if she is, why the fuck did you went to orphanage to meet her daughter?" kartik was a confused mess.

"Woah. Woah. Hold on. That's a lot of questions!" Varun chuckled.

"And I want you to answer all of them." Kartik took another big sip of whisky.

"Turns out that girl is my daughter too." varun told him and kartik immediately spit the whole whisky on varun.

"What the fuck, dude?" Varun yelled.

"No. What the fuck! She-She's your daughter. You have a daughter." kartik yelled and varun nodded.

"That's. That's fucked up varun!" he ran his hands through his hair.

"Look I've everything under control." he tried to calm him down.

"You've everything under control? You can't even control yourself. God knows how many more children you have out there?" kartik yelled.

"Hey! Varun yelled in annoyance.

"Look. I'm gonna bring her home. I'm gonna upbring her." varun told him and kartik looked at him with a wtf look.

"You. How will a person who's most of the time drown in alcohol will take care of a little girl?" kartik asked and varun remained silent.

"Tell me. How?" He again asked.

"I don't know. The only thing I know is she's just a five year old girl. And I'm all she has." varun stood up from the stool.

"What do you mean? Where's Tara?" kartik asked, confused.

"She's in jail." Varun answered.

"Oh, fuck me!" kartik threw his head in his hands in frustration.

"You know what you're getting yourself into, right?" kartik looked at him.

"Trust me. Let me do something good for the first time in my life." he told him.

° ° °