fourteen

It was Saturday at noon

It was Saturday at noon. Sabrina and James had exchanged letters to meet a local cafe. James had arrived first, clearly nervous. He never expected her to say yes. She had shown signs of showing an interest in him once he turned eighteen, but he didn't know if she was trying to be nice or if she meant it. His thoughts cleared when he saw her walking across the street without a case in hand and her hair blowing furiously as she walked at a quick pace. She immediately found James as he was sitting at an outside table. She sat across from him and tucked the case safely between her legs.

"Sorry, I hope you weren't waiting too long."

He shook his head. "Just got here, actually."

She smiled. "Wonderful. Now, I must warn you - "

The table suddenly rattled.

"Lulu, no," Sabrina scolded, looking at her shoulder with narrowed eyes.

"Lulu?" James asked.

"Yes," replied Sabrina as she continued to look at the blank space on her shoulder. She brought her hand up and coaxed the invisible space, tickling it with one finger. A white Demiguise suddenly appeared, perched on Sabrina's left shoulder. "This is Lulu. I found her an hour after you left for your internship at the hospital."

James nodded. "I see."

Sabrina looked at him. "Sorry, she wouldn't let me leave without her. I think she has attachment issues, but it's not unknown. She's tricky, but at least she doens't talk, so we can do plenty of that."

"You've changed," he blurted out.

"Is that good?"

James nodded. "It is. It's refreshing. We didn't talk much in Hogwarts and you seem happier."

She smiled, glancing at Lulu. "I am happier. I love what I do. Anyway, let's not beat around the bush. Why did you approach me yesterday and ask for a date?"

"Well, because I like you."

"All this time, I honestly thought it was a big sister complex," said Sabrina

He shook his head. "Maybe I did have a crush on you when you used to babysit Albus and I, but I learned it was more than that. You've become a part of my life and I've never thought of another girl besides you. Should I buy more flowers and chocolates?" he asked, referring to the one Valentine's day.

Sabrina shook her head with a smile. "No, but if you want, you can pay for this lunch."

He smiled. "It's a deal, Malfoy."

She grinned. "Sod off, Potter," she said, mimicking her father.