Chapter 2

(Updated version)
Maria's POV
I was usually the first person in the cafe on a morning. Everyone started their shifts at half eight. I opened the shutters and flipped the sign on the door to say that we were open.

Let's face it, this wasn't the job that I wanted to be doing but it was an alright pay check and the hours weren't too bad. Not to mention one of my best friends since I had moved here also works here and I get on well with a lot of the locals (who are usually generous with tips ;).)

By the time I finished sorting out the cappuccino machine and sweeping the floor, people started coming into the cafe.

"Morning" my best friend Kira said in her usual happy tone.

Kira has light hair (despite being Brazilian) and brown eyes. She was a lot shorter than I was. She was born in Brazil and has worked here for a few years, since her mother died she had to make her own wage. We decided to stick together and help each other out.

"How is it your always in a good mood"I said leaning Over the counter and propping my head up with my hands.

"How is it your always so grumpy" she laughed giving me a slight shove.

"Hey!"I laughed

"Hola Chicas, happy Friday, early finish today, you've been working so hard recently"Our boss will said handing us this weeks pay checks

"Thanks Will I think I could use it have you seen my eyes" Kira sighed

I served my first few cups of coffee to our regular customers.

"What's up Maria? You look troubled"one of them called Paulo asked me.

After a few month I had gotten to know some of the locals very well, I often told Paulo about my problems and about Mia and Dom. He was a good listener and a genuine kind hearted person.

"You remember last week when I was telling you how I was having trouble sleeping?" I said to him

"Yeah?"he said allowing me to continue

"It's making me feel on edge, my mind feels like it is going at 100mphs all of the time"I said massaging my temples

"Well, I do have some good news for you"he said pulling something out of his pocket

It was a newspaper.

"criminales buscados nacionales vistos a 50 millas de la ciudad más concurrida de Brasil"

(National wanted criminals spotted 50 miles from Brazil's busiest city)

"Do you think that has anything to do with Dom?" I said trying desperately not to get my hopes up too much.

"Maybe chica, let me know if you find anything won't you?"he said

"Of course, thank you"I said reaching over the counter to give him a hug.

"Maria, break is over, there are coffees to make" will gently reminded me.

I couldn't really be mad at the Amman, he was my boss for one. But he had also given me a job and a decent pay check.

I continued through the afternoon serving coffees and food. I managed to work my way through several litres of water too, the Brazilian summers could be HOT.

"Hey there's that guy again" Kira said smirking

"Kira!"I warned

"He's been here every day this week, I don't think it's the coffee that keeps him here"she said raising her eyebrows "talk to him"

Speak of the devil. He was approaching the bar.

"Mocha please"he said in his strong Brazilian accent "your Maria yes?"

"Um yeah that me"I said awkwardly

"Maria Toretto"he said

"Yeah"I said wishing he would just get to the point

"Where have I heard that name before?"he said

"It's a common last name, that probably why"I snapped not wanting to talk about the whole 'my brother being a wanted criminal thing'

"True, here"he said handing me a piece of paper "call me"

"Sure"I said knowing I wouldn't be calling him.

He gave me an overly cheesy wink before standing up and leaving.

"Well I'll just drink you coffee then, will I ?"I said annoyed

"So?"Kira said

"Absolutely not"I laughed shaking my head, remembering how annoying he had been.

It was getting late, There was only me and Kira left in the shop I pulled the shutters down and grabbed the broom. turned my tv on full volume and started dancing to the music. I made my self and Kira some pancakes and sat down to eat them.I got back up to pour myself a drink and was just about to sit down again.

"Breaking news- wanted criminal Dominic Toretto has just been given a sentence of 25 years imprisonment"

Everything went quiet and my vision went fuzzy. My glass must have fallen out of my hand as I heard it crash on the floor and fel a piece of glass pierce my foot. My heart was racing the room felt like it was spinning, my hands were shaking. The only thing I could hear were his last words to me "you'll be back, I promise you'll see us again, we'll come back for you." I could see the whole scene replaying in my head. Me crying and trying to cling onto Dom as I was dragged away, Mia crying and Letty trying to convince my parents they were making a mistake. I took the necklace from my neck and clutched it in my hands. Dom gave me it just before I left, it was the only thing I had left of them.

I wanted to find him more than ever.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I know it wasn't very good but I wanted to add something to fill the story up a bit more. More updates coming tomorrow ❤️❤️