Knotted Silk

"Let us welcome the famed Rán back to Kattegat. The great archer, and a honored warrior blessed by the gods." King Harold yelled putting all attention on her as she turned and smiled at the man knowing exactly what he was doing.

"Your king tossed me overboard on our journey back to Kattegat. I do apologize that I could not introduce myself sooner, but it seems to me that he misunderstood the gods will. A simple mistake that any could make." She sassed as she sauntered down and looked back. "After all, mortals make mistakes when they cant speak directly to the gods for guidance." She quipped as she looked back at Ivar who was barely holding back his rage as Freydis glared down at the woman. "But im back now. You can now rest easy knowing the gods are now truly watching over us." She smiled as the room erupted in loud cheers.

"Enough!" Ivar yelled silencing the room as he stared down at the woman who bold in stared him down without blinking. She was stronger now and wouldn't let Ivar scare her into compliance anymore. "Take her away." He growled yet no one moved against her. "I said, take her away!" He threatened as he got to his feet.

Rán glanced around the room as a few men stood up and started to make their way over to detain her. "Ivar you have enough dead bodies at your door, do you wish to add more?" She questioned as two blades slipped into her palms.

Freydis leaned over and whispered something in Ivar's ear causing him to raise his hand signaling his men to halt. "Seems my anger has gotten the better of me." He hummed as he took Freydis's hand and gave it a kiss. "Welcome back to Kattegat, old friend." He forced out with a false smile. "You served me well back in York when I was just the leader of the great army. Now you will serve me well now that I am king of Kattegat." He grinned.

Rán slipped her blades away with chuckle at his change in attitude along with his foolish assumptions. "I dont serve you Ivar. I serve the gods." She corrected before turning and walking out leaving the entire room at a loss for words.
Rán made her way to the docks and took a deep breath in to steady her heart beating wildly in her chest. Ivar was surely going to get revenge for her little stunt, especially now that she was back in Kattegat.

"She wasn't lying." A voice slurred behind her. Rán froze as she turned and saw Hvitserk staring at her. "I went to visit Margarthe and she told me you were alive. I thought she was just seeing ghosts." He chuckled as he swayed slightly.

"You're drunk." Rán sighed.

"Of course I am!" He yelled angrily as he moved closer. "Im miserable." He snarled. "First you slip right through my fingers and I am not even allowed to mourn you!" He gripped her collar as his breath fanned her face, reeking of ale. "I suffer Ivar's constant harassment, and yet I can't leave. Something keeps me her and I swear I may go mad if I don't find what it is." He stumbled slightly before shoving her away. "Bjorn nearly killed me when we arrived back without you. I betrayed both my brothers, and now Margarthe is dead too." He yelled out yet people just ignored him.

He paused for a moment trying to compose himself. "I used my wish." He admitted as he met her gaze. "I knew you always kept your promises, so it was the best shot I had." He shrugged as Rán struggled to keep her emotions in check. "I begged the gods to let you come back to me, as I waited on the shore for you to just break from the waves. Yet when you came back this time you walked along the docks, not the sand, and I had given up, and you really were dead." He lowered his gaze as she shook his head. "And now that you're back I know it wasn't the gods answering me." He looked the tattooed woman in the eye. "You came here for Ivar didn't you?"

Rán was left speechless as she realized that ever since she left all she had thought about was making Ivar pay for throwing her overboard, and saving the people of Kattegat from his tyranny. She had missed Hvitserk and there had been nights she fell asleep clutching the silk he had given her, but what she wanted more was to stop Ivar.