Final Battle

Rán was able to walk around now, but every time she would try to help out she was always stopped by Bjorn, Gunnhild or Hvitserk. In the end she was stuck making arrows with a very deep scowl on her face as she wanted to do more.

"I could spot that scowl across a battlefield." A familiar voice chuckled.

Rán looked up and smiled at her old friend "Donar you truly are a sight for sore eyes." She chuckled as she hoisted herself to her feet. She had a hand on her wound and embraced the large man, who made sure to avoid bruises and wounds. "How have you been?" She questioned with a hum.

The two moved to sit down as Dunar sighed. "Well I have good news that could help lighten your mood, I got married, and had two children. A son and a daughter." He smiled proudly.

Rán gasped giving him a shove "You're kidding me!" She cried out with excitement. "What did you name then? And how old are they!" She questioned quickly after.

Dunar chuckled "Easy, my daughter Astrid is four and looks more like here mother with each passing day. Of course she drives my wife insane because she acts like me. As for my son, Vidar he is only a year old." He smiled as he clearly missed his family dearly.

"That sounds amazing, I am so happy for you my friend. Are they here with you or back in England?" She questioned as she caught the look of longing in his eye.

"They are back in England. I told them to wait until we had taken back Kattegat. I lost my first wife, I refuse to loose my second or my children to Ivar." He snarled.

Rán nodded as she glanced down at the arrow in her hands. "I understand completely." She sighed before looking back over. "Now we just have to make sure you survive so you can welcome them home." She smiled brightly.

Dunar nodded giving her back a gentle pat. "I would love for you to meet my wife and children," he shrugged "Of course I thought you would be married with a family before I was." Dunar admitted.

Rán chuckled with the roll of her eyes. "Many have had the same thoughts as you, and someday I may have children of my own." She smiled as she gazed off thinking about such an idea as children. Her children. She shook her head at the thought before finishing off an arrow. "Be safe tomorrow Dunar, I will have your back. As much as my brother and Hvitserk don't wish me to fight, I will be ready. Bow in hand bringing up the rear." She spoke confidently.

Dunar nodded "If we are fighting on the same battlefield I know I'll be safe. Especially if you have your bow." He grinned before glancing over his shoulder. "I have to go finish preparing for tomorrow's battle, enjoy your arrows." He taunted before jogging off.

"Bastard." She chuckled under her breath before getting back to work with a new found determination.

They day they we to take Kattegat back was finally here and Rán was furious. "You are staying here, you still aren't healed enough fight!" Bjorn barked down at Rán.

"My arms and legs are fine!" She snapped "I can be on the front line with you, but I can still help!" She urged.

"I am one of the leaders of this army and I am telling you, you are to stay here!" He snapped.

Rán clenched her teeth "Fine." She seethed before reluctantly moving aside to let him pass.

"Im just trying to keep you safe." He sighed before walking past her.

Hvitserk followed up behind him and sighed at her furious expression. "Please don't do anything stupid. You should be resting after Ivar stabbed you." He leaned in to give her a kiss. "Dont sneak off to join the fight. I know you very well." He smiled down at her as he managed to get her to smile as well.