One of Us

The statue of Ivar was split right down the middle. It looked as if it had been set on fire and to make matters worse the head of a pig was hung over the statue's face, impaled with a sword right through the animal's head. A crowd had gathered around it as the sound of their king made people anxious.

Rán stared up at the bold display, worry set upon her brow. She had her own plans when it came to Ivar's downfall, but it seems others are taking a more proactive approach. As seer she has heard many people's thoughts about Ivar, and their growing hatred. The struggle to keep people from acting out seemed only to get thinner and thinner with each passing day. She had no idea who was specifically responsible for such a bold display of defiance, but she had a few guesses. As she glanced at the crowd she noticed Thora quickly move away from the crowd. "Shit." Rán hissed as she made her way after her before Kattegat erupted into chaos.

Thora rushed into her hut and Rán was quick to follow. "I didnt have anything to do with that!" She panicked.

"It doesn't matter, you are more loyal to me than Ivar, and that makes you a threat. You need to leave, now!" Rán ordered as she grabbed a bag and tossed it to her.

The loud banging at the door caused the two women to turn abruptly as the door was broken down. Multiple guards rushed forward grabbing ahold of Rán and Thora. Both were unarmed, but Rán made sure to break a few bones before she was dragged to the great hall.

Chaos still raged as the two women stood before Ivar who sat completely calm eating from a plate of chicken. He flashed them both a smile before he looked to Thora. "Come, Please sit." He motioned beside him. Thora glanced at Rán before moving to sit beside Ivar. "Thora, I am trying to rule the world, I am trying to rule for the benefit of our people. Not the strangers or outsiders who threaten us like Rán." He motioned to her briefly. "She washed up on our shores and fool everyone into think she was blessed by the great norn, Skuld. Claiming to see great visions of the future, but she is not. She is a traitor, and an enemy of Kattegat, whispering in people's ears to defy their god king, blessed by Odin." He explained to Thora who clearly didn't believe a word. "I use my divinity to protect you from people like her," he pointed at Rán as he spoke who stood tall with a stoic expression. "I protect you like a father and yet you still hate me? You deface my image, you criticize me, why?" He questioned as if pained.

Thora looked at Rán with a gulp before looking at Ivar tears in her eyes. "In Ragnar's time everyone was free. That is what my parents told me, and it is what Rán told me. They could and say and do as they pleased without fear, they were never forced to do anything, and above all he never forced them to worship him. Ragnar knew he was human like the rest of us. The only person truly blessed by the gods, is Rán, and like Ragnar wishes everyone to be free." Thora spoke proudly and as confidently as she could.

Rán let a small sigh from her nose as she closed her eyes knowing she had sealed her fate. Another person she couldn't protect, and was going to loose. As she opened her eyes visions mixed with memories reminded her of the field of burning bodies. Screaming so loud it echoed far across the forest until complete silence. The only sound being the crackle of the fire and the lingering smell of burning fresh.

"You have spoke well, go." Ivar spoke gently with a smile

"Go?" Thora questioned.

"I remember your father, he is a good man. One of us." He whispered before marking her cheek with red paint. "Go, I have to deal with this traitor now." Ivar calmly spoke.

Thora got up slowly as she neared Rán. The tattooed woman pulled her closed as she whispered in her ear. "Dont look back, and dont stop. Calmly walk out of the hall, as soon as you leave these doors wipe the mark and run." Rán whispered in her ear sternly. "Forget your family they are already dead, now go." She pushed away and as she walked away she could only hope she followed her instructions.