***Chapter 22***

Edited

CHAPTER22

It was dark, I couldn't see anything. My thumping heart wasn't helping the anxiety I was feeling. It's like it was happening all over again.

The darkness was consuming me more and more. I knew that I shouldn't be scared, but the feeling was there, even though everything is going as planned.

This feeling of hopelessness though, I can't overcome it. I just hope my family is okay. I hope Yusuf isn't mad. This had to be done, for him to be out of my life, once and for all.

He has already hurt me too much; I will not let him hurt my family, and Allah is with me. He will protect me.

The door to the basement cracked open, I felt the light hitting my eyes making me squint.

From my perplexed vision, I could make out the shape of two figures. One holding the other, and pushing the person inside. I heard a thud, then the footsteps walking away.

I looked over and saw Samira on the floor. She stood up and walked up to me.

"Hey" she said.

I just stared at her for a while wondering how this whole plan would go.

"Hey" I finally whispered. "How is my family? They didn't suspect did they? I asked in a rush, making sure to keep my voice down.

She looked at the floor, intertwining her fingers together.

"What happened?" I asked again.

"I tried, I swear, but he was just too suspicious. I had to tell him, if I didn't he would've called the police, and our plan wouldn't have worked. I'm so sorry, I know I promised you. He was just too stubborn. I knew that he wasn't joking just like Ian. I was scared he would do something foolish. So, I told him. I am so so-"

"You told Yusuf?" I whisper shouted feeling angry that she told him.

I specifically told her not to let my family know of this plan. If they knew, it would put them in danger, and I cannot afford to lose another person. I just can't.

"I am so sorry, but he was just too scary. I'm really sorry." she looked away from me.

"What did you exactly say to him?" I held my head in my hands heaving a sigh.

"I told him about the plan but I warned him to stay in the car. I left him with Ian. They followed me here, but they are staying away."

"Okay, okay let's just hope they will stay away. This is dangerous. I don't know what Yassin would do if he knew that I was married."

Ya Allah, please protect them, don't let anything happen to them.

"A-Are you in love with him? Yusuf I mean" Samira asked carefully.

Am I in love with Yusuf. The sweet man who used to glare at me? The one who made me breakfast in bed pretending it was for the sake of his mom. The same man that held me the night I had the nightmare, soothing me with his words. The man who would do anything to protect me. The same man that I trust. The man who had stolen my heart, before I even realized. The man that if anything happened to, I would be destroyed.

I-I think I am in love with him. With my whole heart, with every piece of me, and I cannot lose him. Inshallah Allah will protect him for me.

"Yes" I finally replied sounding breathless from the realization. "That's why I can't let anything happen to him, and him being near is dangerous. I- I think I love him too much."