chapter 15

The next day flew by quick. I was more happy than usual. I was really fitting in with everyone. Until lunch.

At lunch, I was wearing a purple shirt. I wanted to eat my sandwich Randy made me, so I pulled up my sleeves. I did mention that Ian liked asking questions? Well, today they did sat next to us and Ian saw the handkerchief that was tied around my wrist. Of course he asked. Everyone was looking at me. Madison had a worried look and so did Ashley. What was I going to say? "Hmm... I like wearing it around my wrist. That's all." I said and continued eating. Ian still wanted to know. "But why? Is there something ON your wrist?" he asked. I looked from Ashley to Madison. HELP! Ashley must have caught my message. "Come with me, Ian. I heard that the Westbound Dogs won the last football match!" Ashley said and got up. "What!?" Ian said and ran after her. She made thumbs up to me when no one was looking. I smiled. Ashley saved the day. I'll have to thank her later. Everyone continued eating. No one asked me any questions about the handkerchief again. And I was happy.

After school, Edward called his mom and told her we were going to the library. As we walked there, we talked about the book I lent him. "I cannot believe Ronnie broke up with Mike to go with a vampire Alexander. I have no idea what she saw in him." he said. "Neither does I, but trust me the story gets even juicier." I said. "Really! What happens?" he pleaded. "I won't tell! I'm not a spoiler!" I said and laughed. Edward laughed too. There was a silence. I looked at him. I noticed I didn't even know him a lot. "Tell me about yourself." I said. "What?" he asked. "Tell me what you like to do." I repeated. He smiled. "Ok." he finally said. "I like reading adventure books even romance books. I like watching movies while eating popcorn. I like going on quiet walks. But mostly I love playing the piano." I looked at him. He looked at me. "I never knew you liked playing the piano." I said. "Yeah, sometimes I'm too shy to say." he said "I'll play to you someday." I smiled "Sure."

"So tell me about you." he smiled. "There's not much to say." I said. "What do you mean?" he asked. He seemed worried. I didn't want to tell him about me being a vampire. "My parents.... they're dead." I said. I was looking to the ground. Now I was being shy. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned anything." "It's ok. But now that you know, I'll tell you. My dad died in a horrible car accident and my mom was so upset that she started to drink. She was out of control that I ran away. The authorities found me and I told them everything. That's how I ended up here. My mom died yesterday. She was driving and she lost control of the wheel and crashed. Eventually she was drunk." I said. There was a silence. "I'm sorry." Edward said "I bet you miss them." "Mostly my dad. If he never died, I wouldn't be who I am today." I said. Oh no! Too much!

"What do you mean you wouldn't be who you are today?" he asked. "The character. The clothes. I used to wear bright colored clothes. But now I'm different." I said "But I would have never met you or Madison, or any of you. So I guess there's always an up side to it." He smiled. That moment we walked into the library to start our research.....