one

AMERICA
   2005

Sae sniffled as she waited, sitting next to a young boy playing a game on his mother's phone. The five year old couldn't help it as tears started rolling down her cheeks. She had lost her parents, and now, she was being separated from her brother Mark as well.

The boy sitting next to her noticed and got up to grab the box of tissues on the desk next to them. He walked up to the girl smiling and softly said, "here." Sae looked up at the boy before quickly grabbing a tissue and wiping her puffy face. "My name's Zhong Chenle." the boy said sitting back down on the bench next to her. His mother looked down smiling at the two.

"Chenle, Sae is going to be your older sister." she said softly and she knelt down in front of the two. "Really?" he asked enthusiastically. She nodded and turned to Sae, "Honey, you can call me whatever you like. If you perfer eomma thats ok, or if u like mom or mother," she trailed off. "W-wumma?" Sae asked the woman. "Sure." she said smiling at the girl. Sae nodded and sniffled as more tears ran down her face.

i want Mark back.

   KOREA
    2005

Taeyong could hear his parents yelling in the other room as he watched the tv awkwardly trying to avoid the gaze of the younger boy who sat just as still.

Mark's mind was racing. He had so many questions about that day and his thumb absentmindedly ran over the scar on his hand. He regretted it. He regretted it so much. He stared at the older boy who seemed oddly calm as the screaming from the other room got louder.

Suddenly the yelling stopped all together and Mark could hear a sigh. "we can't just leave him, Areum." He heard the boy's dad say. Mark couldn't make out what the woman said but he heard her stomp up the stairs and sighed, looking down towards his hands.

Taeyong looked over to the boy. He felt sorry for him. His father had told him what had happened and he couldn't help but think that could've been his parents.

He watched silently as his father walked in and showed Mark upstairs to the room he would stay in. Mark sat on the bed as his new "father" left him to unpack. He stared at the wall and noticed a picture of a bunch of people. He looked closer and found his parents standing next to the older boy's. He felt a tear roll down his cheek as he bit his lip trying not to cry.

i'm sorry. it's all my fault.