four

KOREA
DECEMBER 2018

"Who did they send?" Mark asked as he walked back into the room, his voice was harsh and cold. Taeyong stared at the monitors clicking around before snapping his head up towards Mark's.

"Their youngest recruit. Haechan's age. Most likely to infiltrate her highschool." Taeyong said turning back to the monitor. "Name?" Mark asked as he ran his thumb over his scar.

"Huang Renjun."

"I don't understand why they're after her though. Wouldn't they want me? How do they even know she's alive?" Mark questioned as he started pacing around the room. Haechan looked up at the boy, "Don't you see? They're gonna use her as bait to get what they want. They know your weaknesses now." the boy said getting up and walking towards the boy.

Mark's eyes softened as he looked at the boy, heartbreak in his eyes. He could tell he was hurt. But what could he do? They weren't soulmates and they knew that before they started dating.

"Haechan-ah," Mark started as he placed a hand on Haechan's arm, "Can we talk about this?" Mark asked with pleading eyes. Everyone in the room looked up at the two young boys.

"Talk about what?" Taeyong asked as he eyed the boys curiously. Haechan looked down at Mark's hand on his arm, "Mark found his soulmate." he muttered quietly.

The older members looked at the younger boy feeling sorry for him. They knew how much Mark meant to him and the risk they were taking when they started dating but they saw how happy the pair made each other so they let them.

Haechan brushed Mark's hand off of him and walked out of the room. He wanted nothing more than to be in Mark's arms but he knew that was all over now.

"Mark," Johnny started, "Where is he? Where's your soulmate? You have to stay with him after first meeting him or the bond won't start." he said rapidly.

Mark paused. He seemed rather uneasy and Johnny's words. "I-it's n-not a he." he said looking down going over the scar on his hand. There was a small gasp from all the members in the room.

"H-her name is Emika Ellis. She's an international student. I ran into her during a mission and it happened. The bond started. I told her to meet me by the park nearby in a couple minutes but i guess i'll have to go another time-" Mark was cut off as Johnny placed his hand on his shoulder, "No Mark you have to go to her now. The bond won't properly start unless you're with her and it could leave you both seriously hurt."

Mark's eyes widened at the news and sprang into action, grabbing his coat and pair of keys to their base before heading out on his bike. He didn't want to frighten the girl like their first time meeting.

Mark held up the guy by the collar of his shirt and punched him, watching as he fell to the ground. But he looked up to see her. The man was lying by her feet unconscious. Her mouth was wide open wanting to scream but nothing came out.

Then he felt it. His wrist started to tingle and he held his hand up to stare at the now glowing phoenix on his wrist. The girl was also clutching her wrist, the glow from it landing on her face softly. He walked over to her placing his hand on her shoulder sending a rush of energy through the two.

The two merely exchanged names before Mark left her there calling out for her to meet him at the park. His mind was racing as he felt the dread of going back to the base.

fuck. what about haechan?

Mark brushed his thoughts away as he neared the park and got off to park his bike. He spotted the girl sitting on a bench and he took a breath, already feeling his wrist tingling.

"E-emika." he said while sitting down next to the girl. She turned to look at him and smiles softly. "Mark. Look I don't know how you're feeling but, but we have to stay together right now." Emika said quietly as she looked into his eyes.

Mark knew he had to tell her. He had to let her know who he was and what he did. He felt rather ashamed to tell her though as he looked down at the grass.

"Emika. I'm sorry." he said looking back up at her. She looked at him confused. "For what?" Mark sighed and looked back down at his hands, "For being your soulmate. You deserve someone that can be with you. All the time and that can make you happy. B-but I don't think i can be that person that you deserve and I'm sorry." he said. He felt guilty and he knew she could feel it too.

"Hey, look at me." she said lifting his chin up gently. "I don't care who you are or what you do. We're soulmates. We'll learn to love each other, we have too. It's our destiny to be together." she said rather determined. He looked up at her his lips curling into a slight smile.

***

Mark got back to the base after talking with Emika. What she said was playing back in his mind as he headed back to the mission room.

It's our destiny to be together.

Yet all he could think about was haechan. He loved the boy, so so much. He couldn't bare the fact that he was breaking his heart. He looked up to see the rest of the gang members staring at him.

"How'd it go?" Jaehyun asked as he looked up from his paperwork. Mark eyed haechan who was sitting at the table fiddling with his pen.

"I-it was ok. I guess. She's really nice." Mark said. Haechan's head snapped up when he heard 'she.'

Mark's eyes met the younger and he immediately felt guilty as he mentioned her. "S-she?" haechan questioned as his eyes glared into Mark's. There was hurt in his voice and everyone could tell. They all pretended to go back to their work and Haechan got up from the table not breaking his gaze at Mark.

He grabbed his arm and the two boys left the room. Haechan felt a tear rolling down his cheek and he wiped it away quickly as he pulled Mark into a room and closed the door behind them.

"Mark." he said. His voice was weak as he struggled to keep himself from breaking down. The older quickly pulled him into a hug stroking his back. Haechan resisted but eventually gave in and wrapped his arms around the older boy where he felt safe.

"I'm sorry." Mark whispered into his ear softly. Haechan pulled away from the boy to look at him. He stared into his eyes and he couldn't help it.

His hand lifted to cup Mark's face as his other wrapped around his waist. The younger pulled him closer till their lips met, crashing into each other with as much passion as the first time they kissed.

Mark's eyes fluttered open as he realized what was happening and pulled away. "H-haechan we can't. I have a soulmate now." Mark said before leaving the room and the boy.

He clenched his fists and ran his thumb over his scar before entering the mission room once more. The members stared at him as he entered.

"Let's go beat Renjun's ass." Mark said with a stone cold tone. His voice was laced with fury taking all the members by surprise.

***

"They have break in 2 days and i told Jaemin to bring her to Korea." Mark said as he walked with Taeyong to the weapon room to prepare.

"I gathered more information about the boy. He's started at her high school so it's only a matter of time before trouble starts." Taeyong stated as he greeted Doyoung who was working on repairing guns from their latest mission.

Mark gulped at the news. He thought of his poor sister. She must be so scared. She doesn't even know what's going on.

I hope Jaemin can protect her.