five

AMERICA
DEMCEMBER 2018

Jaemin was silent on the bus ride to school that morning. He stared at the girl sleeping on his shoulder as he thought about the night before.

"Jaemin-ah, whatever you do, you have to protect her." He felt uneasy.

protect her from what? or who?

He sighed as the bus stopped at their school, gently waking Sae before the two got up and walked to class together.

Sae's stomach churned as she walked into class noticing the staring boy from yesterday. She looked at the ground and walked to her seat with Jaemin. She tapped her fingers on her desk as she thought of the events from last night.

"Mark." Jaemin said to her. She was shocked. She hadn't heard her brother's name in the longest time. Chenle and Jisung looked up at her and then to jaemin.

"You know my brother?" she asked calmly and the boy snapped his eyes up to meet hers. "S-so he i-is your brother?" Jaemin asked feeling lost as to what was going on. "Yeah, how do you know him?" She asked calmly once more.

"I-i used to be friends with him back when I lived in Korea." he confessed. "Wait why did he call? Did something happen to him?" she said starting to panic. "No, no, uh he just uhm, he wants us to go to Korea. For break." Jaemin said and Sae sighed. "Oh." she said, "Then let's do it."

It was lunch now and the two walked towards their usual lunch table, slumping into their seats. Saeyeon looked up as she felt someone slip into the seat next to her. Jaemin sat up in his seat as well and the two eyed each other.

Renjun.

The boy looked at her before finally speaking, "H-hi! My name is R-renjun. I-i'm sorry. I'm not very g-good at  english." the boy said rather cheerfully. "Oh." was all Sae said as she looked at the boy feeling uneasy again.

"Well my name's Jaemin and this is Saeyeon." Jaemin said to the boy holding out his hand for his to shake. The boy took it and smiled lightly. "N-nice to meet you!" He said shaking his hand.

Sae nodded and looked down at the table sighing. "I'm gonna go use the restroom." she said getting up from the table. Sae walked into a stall and clutched her stomach which was in a knot.

She heard a few girls come and took a breath about to leave when they started talking. Her hand hovered over the door as she listened,

"Did you see the new boy? He went to sit with Sae and Jaem at lunch." one girl said.

"Really? wait what was his name? Renji? i dunno something like that." the other said.

"Renjun. Ok but like he's kinda cute don't ya think?" the first girl said.

"Yeah lowkey. But i think he's into Sae. He keeps staring at her in class." the other said.

"Oh, yeah I noticed that too. But it doesn't mean anything. It's not like they're together." the first said.

Sae waited until they left the bathroom before exiting the stall. She let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding. She washed her hands even though she didn't use the restroom out of habit and walked out heading towards the cafeteria.

She stopped however when she heard footsteps behind her. She turned around to see Renjun walking towards her.

"Oh, hey Sae!" Renjun said while walking towards her. "I-i was wondering, i-if you wanted to go hang out after school?" he asked tilting his head slightly as he spoke.