5: Symptoms

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

HAPPY SURPRISE UPDATE!

Do you have any special quarantine Easter plans?

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "Don't Know Who I Am"
B Y : Rebecca Roubion ᐧ Sleepless Nights

"I don't know who I am at all"

I wake up with a groan and rub my face. They drugged me. Those ass wholes! Luckily, I'm still in the same room that I was previously. But how long was I out for? It feels as though I've slept for years. I see that the IV is back in my hand, and I quickly rip it out with a sharp wince.

The conversation that led to this still has me shocked. 12 years, 12 whole years on my own. Over half my life. I feel a rogue tear fall and hastily wipe it away. Oh, pity me, right? No. I survived, I'm still surviving, and I'm fine... once I leave this place in my dust.

I look out the large window that is along the wall. The forest is right there, freedom so close, yet so far. I wiggle my toes to test the movement. Once I'm satisfied that they are still there, I remove the blanket from the bed and swing my legs over to the side of the bed so that I am sitting on the edge. Standing up, I walk over to the window so I can get a better picture in my mind for my escape. There is no way I can stay here.

Lit sidewalks litter the grass, leading to the different buildings, I'll have to steer clear of those. It shouldn't be too hard. I'll also have to find if and where they have patrols. That will be my biggest obstacle. I jump when I hear a knock at the door. It's Dr. Hagen. I take a step back, but he doesn't make any move to come closer to me.

"Ember, I came to apologize. I didn't want to do that...-" He keeps talking, but it becomes foggy.

'I didn't want to do that! You made me do it. You brought this upon yourself.' My father's voice ricochets within my mind. I clench my fists until I feel the sting. I take a deep breath and focus on what's in front of me.

"Ember? Are you all right?" Dr. Hagen asks. I nod and he continues talking. "You've been out for about a day and a half." I nod and shift on my feet. "You have to understand, It was in your best interest. We had to restitch your wounds while you were under. We have breakfast down the hallway. You're welcome to come, or I can have someone bring you something. The decision is yours." I look out the window then back at him with a glare.

"Not hungry." Lie.

"It would be beneficial for you to eat some-" I cut him off and risk-taking a step forward.

"Right, Just like everything else that has happened. Bringing me here, drugging me, saying I can go... but wait, I actually can't. But oh no! It's all in my best interest, which makes it okay. Do you know what the funny thing is? No one has asked me what I think is my idea of my best interest." I take a deep breath but hold my glare. This is the most I have spoken here, but I'm sick of them acting like they are good fucking samaritans.

"So I guess I'll just repeat myself. I'd. Like. To. Leave." I hold my stare as he looks down with a sigh.

"It's not my decision to make." I scoff.

"Then tell me who it is, and bring them here." He says nothing in response but instead just merely nods and leaves the room. I pull at my hair going half-mad in this room. It's hours later when Reagan peeks her head in.