45: Ancestor

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "To Build a Home"
B Y : The Cinematic Orchestra

M E R E K

My failure haunts me. I could have done more. I could have made that spell on Ember virtually invisible if I had just thought of it. I felt completely and utterly stupid. Corban and Reagan both grieve for their lost mates.

I walk up quietly into the room that we laid Ember to rest in. She looked like something out of a horror movie. Even after we cleaned all of the blood off of her. I pulled a chair over and clutched her hand in mine.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper brokenly. My voice feels foreign in the room, but I push past the thought.

"I should have done you better," I whisper. "I love you, Ember," I whisper.

'Merkaus.' My eyes snap upwards to my mother, who stands at the end of the bed.

"Mother?" I question, and she smiles. Her gaze moves to Embers, and her smile doesn't fade. "Why are you here? I failed. Ember is dead." This causes my mother's smile to fade, and she places a hand on Ember gently.

'Yes. Ember is dead. Collet broke the spell. But the spell would have worked. You performed it perfectly.' I shake my head, not understanding. 'You did it, Merek... You are now a witch. The leader of all witches... the walking ancestor.' She smiles broadly, and I frown, looking at Ember.

"I've waited for this since Collet stripped me of my powers and now that it's here... I don't want it." I state. My mother frowns.

'Merek. You are a walking ancestor.' She states, and I shake my head.

"I know! I know what completing the spell means." I start to grow angry. She takes a step closer to me, her gaze quickly shifting to Ember then to me.

'A walking ancestor with more power than ever.' She whispers. My eyes go wide when I realize what she means.

"A resurrection spell!" I almost scream. My mother's figure disappears, and Corban comes rushing up the steps into the room, his eyes still red raw. A witch working with magic from the earth can perform one resurrection spell in their lifetime. They have to have a deep connection with the deceased, and their heart has to be of pure intent.

"What did you say?" Corban says, his voice Hoarse.

"I can still save Ember." Corban looks at Ember who lays still, cold, and unmoving on the bed. Tears form in his eyes as he looks at her and he looks away.

"Merek... don't say"- I cut him off and rush up to him so that we are standing face to face.

"Before the sacrifice Reagan and I performed a spell. It was supposed to protect Ember but Collet caught it. But the ancestors said that if I did the spell correctly I would become a walking ancestor. I have my powers back Corban." I state. His raw eyes snap to Ember.

He walks over to her and sits down. His eyes are weighed down by grief. Fat tears fall from them as he softly grazes his finger across Embers chapped lips.

"Merek. She's gone." His voice sounds broken. I take a step forward and place a hand on his shoulder.

"Corban, a witch can make one resurection spell in their life. My first one was never completed. I can bring her back. I swear to you." His eyes gather more tears, but these ones are angry.

"Merek I think you should leave." I shake my head.

"Corban you need to understan-" He stands up. His eyes are wide and filled to the rim with tears.

"Ember is Gone!" She's dead! And she can't come back! We lost! We lost everything! I lost everything. I need to- I need to grieve Merek! For god's sake, let me grieve for my dead mate!" A harsh sob escapes his lips and he falls to Embers side.

"Refocillo." I state it without thinking. The resurrection spell. As simple as that. Corbans' gaze snaps to mine, pools of anger and disbelief dance in them.

"I told you to let me grieve!" He yells. But I pay him no attention. My gaze is locked on Ember. Her body still appears to be as cold as ice. Dead. Unmoving. I stare at her waiting for something to happen, for anything. A heartbeat a breath. Nothing happens.

"Refocillo." I state again but this time louder. If possible Corban gets even more angry he stands and walks over to me. He stands right in front of me but I look through him. This has to work. It has to.

"Refocillo." My voice is hard. Before I have anytime to react, I fall to the ground. Corban had punched me. He stands above me clutching his now bloody hand. My gaze snaps to Ember. Corban comes at me, his fists clenched. He isn't going to hold back. But I pay him no attention.

"Corban." I state. He pays me no attention.

"Corban." I say it again backing up trying to snap him out of his fit of range.

"Corban she's breathing!"

I see his fist coming towards my face once again. When nothing comes I open my eyes. Corbans fist is a mere centimeters from my face. He stares at me, his eyes wide and scared.

"Listen Corban." I whisper. He stays completely still. The room is dead quiet. Neither of us dare to move.

"Listen for her heart."

"Feel her bond in your soul."

"Feel for her."

His fist slowly comes down and he slowly looks at Ember. He stands to his full height. His gaze did not leave Ember's body. I hesitantly stand and look at Ember on the bed. She still lies completely still, Her skin is still marred with cuts, scrapes, and bruises.

But her chest rises and falls slowly with hollow breaths. Her lips part and Corban rushes to her side. He leans down, his ear hovers over her mouth as he listens for any signs of life. Tears fall from his eyes as he pulls back and stares down at her with eyes.

"S-she's breathing." He whispers in disbelief. A huge smile emcompasses my face.

"She's a-alive. Embers alive..." Tears rush down his face as he stares down at her. A sob comes out of his mouth and he grabs her limp hand and kisses it.

"You're alive." He cries to Ember. I rush out of the room and run down the hallway.

"Where's Dr. Hagen!?"

________________

Seeeee I told you. I ToOoOllld you!

Please don't forget to vote and comment what you think! There is only ONE chapters left! What???? (Then the epilouge of course)

Thanks lovelies!