35: Annoyed

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "River"
B Y : Bishop Briggs

I shove Corban as he fusses over me more. I swat at his arms and roll my eyes, walking to the corner of the room and wrapping my arms around myself. "Corban, bug off. This isn't news." I say dejectedly. He comes up to me and takes hold of my hands.

"Since when is becoming a sacrifice, not news?" he questions with an edge to his tone.

"My life on the line isn't news Corban. And this time it's not just my life, it's your entire species. So no. I am not that thrown by the fact that I could die because that's where everyone is right now, I'm just the key that kills everybody." I say, raising my voice.

"I'm just making sure you're okay. That's all Em," he says softly. I shake my head.

"Don't do that," I say. He walks towards me, his eyebrows creased in confusion.

"Don't do what?" he questions. I let out an exasperated sigh and threw my hands in the air.

"Treat me like I'm about to burst like I'm some ticking time bomb. I hate that." He shakes his head. And sits down on the bed.

"That's not what I'm doing, Ember. What I'm doing is making sure you're okay, and that's it. We just got a shit ton of information, and I, for one, am pretty freaked over it. So I just want to make sure you know that you aren't on your own in this one." He says softly. I sigh. He reaches his hand out towards me, and I take it.

"I'm just trying to be here for you. I'm sorry that I went about it wrong." I shake my head and turn so that I'm looking at him.

"No. You shouldn't apologize. I'm sorry, you're right. I'm freaked out. But I'm not bothered with my life on the line. That's how it's been." Corban doesn't say anything but pulls me into him so that I rest in his lap.

"I hate that. I wish you knew how much I hate it." I nod.

"I know." He chuckles quietly.

"No. No, you don't. But thank you for listening to me. And thank you for being here. You're my rock through all of this." I smile.

"You're mine, too," I whisper. "We'll get through this, right?" I question. It feels childish, but I just had to say it. Corban sighs.

"We have to. We don't have another choice." I take a deep breath. I look up and laugh when I see Dog sleeping in yet another outrageous position on his back.

"If only we were as laid back as Dog." I laugh. Corban smiles in agreement and scratches Dog's belly.

"Ehh, that would be boring." Corban crawls under the blankets and gestures for me to follow. I crawl in next to him and cuddle close to his chest.

"Goodnight, love." He murmurs.

"Goodnight."

♛ ♛ ♛

A couple weeks have passed. Three to be exact. Almost a whole month and we are no closer to figuring out what the hell we are going to do then we were when we discovered everything. The idea of my just dying was quickly thrown out the window, no matter how much sense it made to me. It was clear that it was not the fan favorite.

What we do know is that we have to fight. We have to fight to protect Corban's species to keep the world at balance. The bats can not be given more power than they already have. This is what everyone agrees on. And we all agree that something has to be done. What we haven't figured out is how it will all go down.