36: Disagreements

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "Judgement Day"
B Y : Stealth

C O R B A N

I did it intentionally. Some may call it cruel, but I don't see it like that. Of course, I love Ember. I love Ember with all of my heart and soul. And I know she knows it. And I also know, no matter how she chooses to show it that she loves me too. But the difference is Ember doesn't realize just how much my love means.

She writes off everything I do as to not draw attention to herself. She hates being in the center, and I put her there. That's on me. She also hates hovering, and that is exactly what I have been doing but for a good reason.

I know Ember.

I know that in situations like the one, she is going to act unbothered. It's her coping mechanism. But at the same time, she still takes everything in, and it just piles up and piles up until it's too big of a pile, and everything comes tumbling down. There is a fine line, and right now, she is dancing on it with a blindfold on.

When the situation finally comes crashing down on her, it takes her with it, and when that happens, she needs someone. She thinks that she doesn't. She went through the darkest time in her life basically completely alone, so if she can get through that, she can get through anything. But I'm trying to show her that it's okay to lean on someone.

Not saying I love you back broke my soul. But she needs to realize that she needs me. For herself and for my own. I need to be the one she can lean on. But I don't want to force that on her. I want her to realize that on her own. At the same time, I have to make sure she doesn't think I'm pushing her away.

It's my full-time job.

Still, I love it.

I wake up and smile when I see her still beside me. And Dog resting at the top of her pillow curled into a tight ball so that he looks like a mess of loose brown fur. I give Ember a kiss on the forehead and make my way down to the fire pit. Merek is already there, and Daniel was sleeping on the first floor, Easton lays curled up in his wolf form off to the side of the treehouse. I take a seat next to Merek and pour myself what I'm assuming is boiled water.

"How are you and Ember?" He asks. I sigh.

"You know how Ember is. She's stubborn. But I love it about her. She challenges me, and that's something hard to do." Merek nods.

"But how are you?" He questions again. I shake my head.

"I don't know," I mutter. "I'm just so put off by Ember's 'nothing-affects-me attitude. I don't know how this doesn't affect her." I admit. Merek takes a sip from his cup and looks at me.

"Maybe it does affect her; she just doesn't show it." I nod.

"I know that's what's happening because that's how Ember is. It is how it happened with her accepting me as her mate, and when everything about her past resurfaced. I'm just trying to be the person that's there for her." Merek nods.

"And I mean we have about two months to figure all this out, and we are in the same place that we started. We have no plan of attack, and all the ones suggested make me sick to my stomach." I say.

"Because Ember would be fighting?" He questions. I nod.

"Exactly. It just feels like a trap to me. That no matter how we go about beating this fucking coven, as long as Ember shows her face, we'll lose. I feel it in my gut." I admit. Merek lets out a long breath.