31: Challenge

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "Revolution"
B Y : The score

It was almost impossible to explain out loud. It was like I had always known this, it was always there. Covered up, painted over, fogged. And then it was as if someone just snapped their fingers and loads of memories about Collet came rushing back to me all at once. It was extremely overwhelming. A cloak had been lifted.

Collet had betrayed us.

Betrayed me.

Forgetting about all the progress I have made, I clenched my fists. I needed to be grounded and this was the only way I could think to do it.

The memories were not done. Their tirade continued like a never ending storm. It knocked the breath out of me and each new memory was worse than the one before.

"She conjured the radiation that wiped out humans."

"Ember..." Merek said quietly with wide eyes. I look at him then to Corban.

"Ge-t him out of th-there he's innocent." I gasp and clutch at my head. I feel Corban attempting to force a pill into my mouth and I take it into my mouth quickly. Next I see a glass of water in my face. I take a gulp and shake my head as more and more information is thrown at me. Merek is quickly taken out of the cell but I can't tell by who.

"She had to do it." I sobbed. "She had to so that she could find the human that could withstand it. So that she could find me." I shook my head in disgust. My whole life, everything I have known and done is a lie.

Rylan comes up slowly. "How do you know this, Ember." He's angry, I can practically feel the anger pouring out of him in waves.

"I-I don't know. I have memories of her telling me, she looked completely crazy, almost rabid. The next thing I know she's giving me something to forget everything."

"What about Lilith?" Rylan asks, still just as angry. I shake my head.

"There is no Lilith. It was always Collet she disguised herself." I look up to the lot of them. "How do I know this? How is this possible?" Merek clears his throat, his complexion completely pale. He cautiously gets down to my level. His eyes go to my mark.

"Is that new?" He asks gesturing to my mark. I nod.

"That's your answer. Your mark broke every unnatural thing in your body. If you had any spells on you, your mark would have combated them. These are all your memories as true as the ones you are making today. Do you remember anything else?" I groaned in disgust. This was making me sick. Closing my eyes, I try to remember anything else.

"Why did she need to keep you alive?" Merek pushes me to remember. I nod with my eyes closed.

"She's trying to awaken something... or someone. I think it's another bat. I'm not sure I don't remember her talking too much about this, but she needed me alive for something... I don't know what. She never said anything. Oh my god. I was living with a monster. I trusted her, she was the one person in the world that I trusted and she... I don't have anyone..." Corban quickly came to my side and wrapped me in his arms.

"You have me. You have this pack Ember. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. I swear. I'll kill anyone who tries to hurt you." I look up so that I'm facing him.

"No."

"No?" he questions.

"You'll let me do it." I needed to be the one who killed Collet. Just thinking her name made me want to vomit. This took a part out of me, this broke a piece off.