22: Scared

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "Learn How to Fight"
B Y : Besides Daniel

"So whenever you come back from wherever you roam,
I'll be building a house, that just might be our home."

C O R B A N

Ember's head falls asleep quickly against my chest with a small ghost of a dime gracing her full lips. I tighten my hold on her small form. The bond twists with Ember in this position. My wolf, who is almost always dormant, paces in my head. He is on edge.

Looking down at her, I hold back a wince. She looks drained, and her usually tan skin is pale. I look up at Collet, who is fussing over Ember, gently dabbing her head with a warm cloth and moving stray pieces of hair. I can tell that she cares for her. Collet looks up to me and fumbles nervously with a necklace in her hand. She clears her throat and hands it to me.

"When she wakes up, can you give this to her?" She questions, looking at Ember then to me. I look at the oval-shaped necklace warily. She senses this and opens it up, inside is a small picture of Ember and her family. I look up to Collet then back to the necklace. She sighs.

"That photo is the only thing she has left of her family besides her mother's necklace. I thought she would like this." I nod, taking the necklace and putting it in my pocket. I run my hand through my hair.

"I'm sorry." I blurt. Collet turns and looks at me questionably.

"How do you mean?" She questions. I look to the limp form in my hands and sigh.

"Ember trusts you with her life. I judged you, I had no respect for your kind before I came here even though I had never met one of you. You have proved me wrong many times. I'm sorry. I should not have judged you." Collet nods with a sincere smile.

"Well, I did call you a dog." She jokes. I let out a small chuckle standing up as does Collet. "You two best be going. Here, it's cold out there tonight" She comes back out with a quilted blanket and drapes it over Ember then kisses her forehead looking back up to me.

"Please, Corban. Take care of her, she has seen and been through so much heartache... I-I would hate her to go through something more." Collet speaks softly.

"I will, I promise." Collet nods, putting her hands on her hips.

"You best leave now, it's already sunset." I nod, walking out the doors Ember in my arms. I look behind the hut to see the man... Merek is still groaning in discomfort. He weakly lifts his head when I step out his gaze on Ember and nothing else, just like when we first got here. He attempts to talk, but only gurgles come out. I shake my head and make my way back to the pack house.

♛ ♛ ♛

"What happened?" Reagan gasps as I walk through the doors with Ember still comfortably asleep in my arms. She hadn't moved the whole way here, just sleepily mumbled or snored. It was actually quite adorable. "She'll be fine when she wakes up. She's just asleep." I whisper so I do not wake her.

"The cloaking spell involved a lot of her blood. The more blood, the longer it lasts, and Ember wouldn't let us stop her till she was basically already passed out. But she's strong. I'm just taking her back to her room." I say. Looking to her with admiration. Reagan nods in understanding.

"I was just on my way back there. I'll let you in... maybe you should stay with her though." A small smile comes across my face at the last thing Reagan said.