43: Bats

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "New Kings"
B Y : Sleeping Wolf

C O R B A N

"Nobody talk over the link. They can hear through it," Rylan informs everyone. A sinister laugh sounds across the field. The culprit is none-other than Collet. She snaps her fingers, and Ember's unconscious body falls out of nowhere onto the ground. My blood boils, and I can no longer hold my anger back. Rylan lets out a loud howl, and we all run forward.

Wolf on witch would be an easy match. But these bats use dark magic, not earth magic. It makes it harder, but not impossible. There was no gradual start to the fight with the bats.
The packs were not playing games and neither were they.

Right away My wolf is flown into the air.. I slam against a rock, causing a high pitch yelp to escape my lips. I felt a bone crack, but I'm not going to let one fucking bone stop me from getting to Ember. I take a blow to my side.

I whip my head around and attack whatever is in my view. Snapping necks, tearing limbs anything. I look to my right and see Daniel against two bats. I ran over to him, taking on one to relieve some pressure. I kill the bat in front of me and move forward. We have to break their line of defense if we are going to win.

I see Easton taking on three bats. I run to help him tearing into the flesh of the witch directly to his left. He goes for the right, then we both take the middle. All three witches fall to the ground. Easton and I look to each other knowingly with a nod and run off in opposite directions.

Two bats come at me from either side. I quickly run forward and then turn my body around so that I am facing them head on. I take them on at the same time detaching their limbs from their bodies in a fluid motion.

I run from my kill ready for the next, but I'm looking for a Collet. I scan the field taking in the numbers we have lost thus far. It's been about an hour of non-stop fighting, and what I'm seeing doesn't look good. I swear the witches are multiplying while our numbers continue to drop. That's when I see her... behind a goddamn tree.

Collet.

She ruined my life, took my mate from me and now is killing my pack members.

I want to kill her. I want to kill her so damn bad. That's when I take the time to look around the field. More than half of our men lay dead or seriously injured on the ground, and that's when I see it. Collet isn't hiding... no, she is reviving the witches we kill. They haven't lost a single life, and our numbers continue to drop steadily. There is no clean way out of this... there isn't a way out of this. I realize that now and it's far too late.

We are going to lose.

I begin a search for Rylan dodging any witch I come across, not bothering to kill them when I now know they will just come back. I see Easton fighting alongside Daniel, both men fighting their damn hardest. I continue to run and pick up my pace when I see Rylan.

I shift to my skin and pull on the shorts around my ankle, all as I continue running. He sees me and kills the witch easily that lies in front of him. Shifting into his human form he looks beyond pissed.

"Why the hell did you shift?!" He screams. That's when I truly realize just how loud it is I could barely hear him over the sound of the fight.

"The witches we kill aren't dying!" I yell. "They are getting fucking revived! We need to figure something else out. They're winning!" I scream. Rylan pulls at his hair, his eyes going wide with pure terror as he looks around his men, dropping like flies. There is a clear winner, and it's not us.