Chapter 2:Merry Go Round

I woke up, clutching the sheets close to my chest. I opened eyes, seeing the bright sunlight coming into the room. I sighed, rolling over, expecting to cuddle next to Devante. I soon realized that he wasn't there. In fact, his side of the bed was cold.

I looked over at the clock, seeing it was 10:30 in the morning. I sat up quickly, realizing I had to get Calvin to school. I jumped up, grabbing my robe and tying it as I walked out of my room. I went down to the hall, opening his door. I was expecting to see him still sleeping in his bed, waiting for me to wake him up.

Instead, his bed was made up and his backpack that usually sits at the edge of his bed was gone. I closed the door and headed downstairs. I got to the living room and smelled food. I went towards the kitchen, putting my hair up into a ponytail. I walked into the kitchen, seeing Devante standing over the stove.

I smiled, seeing him dancing to music. "Someone's having fun"I said, making him turn around. He smiled, "Good Morning sleeping beauty, how'd you sleep"he said, walking up to me and kissing my cheek before going to the fridge. "Great, I haven't slept in in a long time"I said, sitting at the island. "Also, where's Calvin. He's not in his room"I said.

"I took him to school about 3 hours ago. Went grocery shopping then came back. I figured since you've been working so long, I'd take care of everything while you slept a little longer"he said, still standing over the stove. My heart fluttered. I loved seeing Devante slowly turn into a dad. He was really serious when he said he was gonna take care of Calvin. I shed a few tears thinking about it.

He turned around, seeing me wiping my eyes. "What, did I do something wrong"he said. I laughed, "No, not at all. You did everything right, you do everything right"I said. He smiled before going back to cooking. About 10 minutes later, he sat a huge plate of food in front of me.

I was surprised because it looked like I cooked it. Devante was never able to cook. I was hesitant but I took a bite and lord jesus it was amazing. I moaned loudly from the taste. He laughed, "You like it"he said.

"yes, where did you learn to cook like this"I said, taking another bite. "While you were gone, Dalvin and were big helps with helping me with Calvin. Ro gave me a few pointers"he said. "They were some pretty good pointers"I said as I continued to eat. After we ate, I grabbed the dishes and washed them while he cleaned up the kitchen. I was drying my hands off when he came behind me, hugging his arms around me.

He kissed my shoulder and my neck. I chuckled, "You tryna go another round"I said. He laughed lightly, "Nah, I actually wanted to talk to you"he said. I turned around, leaning against the counter. "What's going on"I said.

He sighed, like he was nervous to say. "Devante, just spit it out"I said. "Well, you know. Calvin's getting older and you know he's constantly asking for a little sister or brother"he said, I nodded. "Why don't we have a baby"he said. I was taken aback, a baby.

I chuckled, "Devante, we already have a baby. Why do we need another"I said. "Baby, I know but that's not our baby"he said. "Calvin is my son, I don't care if I didn't carry him. He's still my son"I said, getting defensive. "Jamila you know that's not what I meant, of course you're Calvin's mother. I was just saying a baby of ours, you and me. Plus, I know you always wanted a couple kids"he said. I sighed, "The problem is that I want to do this right. I want to be married before I have a kid and that's not gonna happen"I said.

"Wait, you don't wanna marry me"he said. "No, it's not that I don't wanna marry you. I just don't wanna get married period"I said. "Why"he said. "Devante, don't play stupid. The last two times I tried to get married they ended horribly. I don't wanna get married"I said. "Jamila, you aren't serious. You don't wanna be a girlfriend for the rest of your life"he said.

"You know what, I'm actually perfect with that"I said. "Jamila be serious, you don't wanna be married"he said. "Devante, I'm sorry. Marriage really doesn't work out for me and if there's no marriage, there's no baby. Calvin's just gonna have to go without a sibling"I said. He pulled away from me, swiping his thumb over his thumb. "Devante, baby. I'm sorry"I said.

"Nah, it's cool. We all have our own opinions, I gotta respect yours"he said. Grabbing his coat and leaving the kitchen. I followed him. "Devante, where are you going"I said. "I just need some space, I'll talk to you later"he said, leaving.

Ughh, I just got back and stuff is already going wrong. I was just being honest, marriage doesn't work in my family. It didn't work with my parents and it didn't work with neither me and Devante the first time and it definitely didn't work with me and Lashawn. I wanted to sit on the couch and mope since I felt so bad but I had a lunch date with the girls today so I had to get ready. I quickly made myself a cup of tea for stress and headed upstairs to start my now very chaotic day.