Chapter 17:Sold Up

It was a little bit later I was just getting home. I really thought about what Damon said. Aborting my baby girl is not the worse choice in the world but I just don't wanna do it. I'm five months in and was attached to her as soon I found out I was pregnant, there's no way I can give her up now. I can't get an abortion.

I sighed and grabbed my purse, getting out the car and heading to the front door. I unlocked the door and walked in, seeing all of Calvin's things spread out on the floor in the living room. I chuckled and dropped my bag by the door. I kicked off my sneakers and headed upstairs. I walked into Calvin's bedroom, seeing Devante in front of him tying his little bow tie.

Both of them were in freshly pressed suits. Where in the world are they going. "Well, you two look handsome"I said. Devante got up. "Glad to see you, we thought you weren't coming for a second. And why aren't you dressed, we gotta leave in 20 minutes to beat evening traffic"he said.

I was confused, what did I have to get dressed for. He obviously saw the confused look on my face. "you forgot, didn't you"he said. Calvin jumped up, "Mommy, tonight is the art gallery. The picture me and Tanya drew is gonna be there. Are you coming"he said. I looked down at Calvin and smiled, "Of course I'm coming, I wouldn't miss this for the world. Mommy just needs to go wash up and we'll be all set"I said.

He smiled. I looked up at Devante, he didn't look too happy. "Son, why don't you go downstairs and watch cartoons while mommy and daddy finish getting ready"he said. I knew when Devante sent Calvin out of the room, something was up. Calvin ran out of the room and headed downstairs to the living room.

"Jamila"he started before I quickly left the room. I went into my bedroom and went to the closer, pulling out the biggest outfit I had. I heard the bedroom door slam shut, Devante was pissed. "I know you didn't forget about the one thing that our son has been looking forward to for the past 3 months. Are you serious"he yelled. "Devante, I've been working all day and it just slipped my mind. I'm here now and I'm going to the gallery. Everything's cool"I said.

"Okay, so you're too busy to remember that your son's birthday tomorrow and you haven't done anything to help me plan the party"he said. I slouched down on the couch, Calvin's birthday is tomorrow. I've been so caught up in work and my the baby that I forgot my own son's birthday. "Devante, I can explain"I said. "Explain what Jamila. That ever since you started this whole movie star persona, you forgot that you've had a whole life. You have a son, you have me. You have priorities"he yelled.

"Hold up, what are you trying to say. Are you hinting at that I don't have my priorities straight"I said, getting up. "It seems that way. Your son walks around everyday wondering where his mother is. You don't know how many times he's been hoping that you come and pick him from school or just pop up to see him. You promised that you were gonna be here with him tonight"he yelled. "Devante I'm here, what else do you want from me. I adopted a child that wasn't mind to proved that I loved you. I took care of him as my own even when I knew I wasn't ready to raise a child. I'm supporting this household since you haven't had a decent single since your first album. I'm doing everything around here and you want more from me"I yelled. I saw the hurt in his face. I got up, walking towards him.

He raised his hand, telling me to get away. "Baby, you know I didn't mean that. I'm sorry"I said. "No, you meant exactly what you said"he said. "You have a choice. Ride by yourself and show up like you said or stay here and disappoint him like you always do"he said. That cut deep.

He walked out of the room, slamming the door behind him. I broke down in tears. He was right, I was barely around my own son. I just didn't know that Calvin was asking for me like I wasn't even there. The point of me adopting him in the first place was to let him know what I was here for him, that he had a mother that was gonna take care of him.

I couldn't even keep that promise. But I wasn't gonna mess up again, I had to fix this. I told my son I would be there and I meant it. I grabbed my outfit and walked into the bathroom, turning on the shower.