Chapter 21

I was in front of Damon's hotel, waiting for him to come out. It had been an hour since I dropped off Calvin and now I had this whole list of errands to fill. I had know idea what any of this meant so I decided to call Damon, hoping hew would help me since he's been through kids birthday parties. He came outside, I unlocked the door, letting him get in. He got in, closing the door.

"So, I see the mother needed some assistance"he said. I chuckled, "I've never thrown a kid's birthday party. Devante planned the whole thing and I offered to get everything together, something I'm now regretting"I said. He chuckled, "Hey, it's not as bad as you think. What's first on the list"he said. I grabbed the piece of paper sitting next to me. "Pick up his gifts from the toy store, then wrap them. I haven't even gotten him a gift"I said.

"Okay, we head to the toy store, pick up the stuff and you can get him a gift in the meantime"he said. About 10 minutes later, we were at the mall heading to the toy store. I had no idea what Devante had gotten I still didn't get a gift. Damon was at the desk, getting everything while I was walking around looking for a gift. I didn't know what 4 year old boy would like.

I know he likes cartoons but I really don't be paying attention when he's watching them. Damon came over to me, holding the multiple bags of toys and a bunch of wrapping paper. "What's your dilemma now"he said. I rolled my eyes, "I don't know what little boys like and now I'm struggling"I said. He looked at the shelf.

He eventually pulled out a remote control car. "I don't know if Calvin even likes cars"I said. "Trust me, every little boy enjoys a toy car. He won't put this thing down until he gets something better than it"he said. I sighed, going to the register and paying for it. We wrapped the gifts in the back of the car before heading to the next place.

I had to go to the bakery to pick up the cake. Along with getting Calvin's cake, me and Damien snagged a few slices for ourselves. By this point I was exhausted. We had only been to two places and I tired. I had realized just how much I don't know how to be a mom.

Could I even be a good mom to the baby I haven't even delivered. I broke down in tears, while eating cake and pregnant. Honestly, it was the saddest thing ever. Imagine looking in the tabloids and you see me, Jamila Stevens in a car, 5 months pregnant and eating cake crying. That would be the saddest thing anyone would see.

Damon pulled me into a hug, rubbing my shoulder. "What's wrong"he whispered. I pulled away, wiping my eyes with the back of my T-Shirt. I sniffed. I usually don't tell everyone about what happens between me and Devante but I had to get it out.

"yesterday when I left the studio, I had forgotten that Calvin had this art gallery that he had been begging me to go to. I was already gonna miss his birthday and both Devante and Calvin were counting on me to be there. Me and Devante got into an argument and he pointed out how I was never there for him, I had even forgotten his birthday was today. I cancelled everything that was going on today just so I could be the standard mom. I woke him up early, got him dressed, made breakfast, made his lunch, dropped him off. Then, I decided to get everything set up for his party. In the toy store, I realized I knew nothing about my own son and he's freaking 4. I'm probably the worst mother ever"I said, slouching in my seat. "baby girl, look at me"he said. I turned to him, running my fingers through my hair. He grabbed my hand and held it tight. "Being a parent isn't easy, trust me. When Stephanie left, she left everything on me. That first week was hell and I didn't know how I was gonna do that. It was even worse on me because I had 3 toddlers and a newborn. Just know it get's better. You eventually learn to juggle work and be a parent at the same time. Just trust me, you'll learn"he said.

I smiled, leaning over and hugging him. He chuckled, "Thank you D"I whispered. "It's all good J"he said. We picked up some decorations and few last minute food items before dropping Damon off at his hotel. I invited Damon to the party and luckily he said yes.

I got back to the house, bring all the gifts and bags into the house. Shanice,Tiffany, Kidada, Ro and Lacey were all in the kitchen, cooking and putting together gift bags. Devante and the boys were outside in the backyard, cleaning out the pool and hanging up decorations. Ro was cooking everything for the party, mainly because she knew how to cook for a bunch of picky 4 year olds. I sat on the island, snagging a piece of candy from the pile that Lacey was putting in gift bags.

"Hard day for a working mama"Ro said. "You think,I'm exhausted. I just went go run some errands and I'm tired, I don't know how Devante planned the whole thing"I said. They all laughed at me, I flipped them off. Most of my friends were married, probably have kids. Of course they would know how to plan a birthday party.

Ro was waddling around the kitchen, her stomach getting bigger and bigger by the day. "Ro, how far long are you"I said. "9 months, due any day now"she said, grabbing the groceries I brought. "Don't you think you should be sitting down. You could literally pop out a baby at any time"I said. "We've all been saying that, Dalvin told her to sit her tail down but we all know Miss Rozonda Carter don't listen to nobody"Shanice said, glaring at Ro.

"You know what, I'm fine. And Dalvin can kiss my big black as-"she said before the boys came in the kitchen. "Dalvin can kiss your big black what"Dalvin said, walking in the kitchen. Ro shut up real quick, sitting down next to me. Kidada, Shanice, Lacey and I all snickered. "That's what I thought, I told you to sit down and rest. And T, you were supposed to be cooking anyway"he said, looking over at Tiffany who was filing her nails.

"What, I can't cook. We all know this. Ro pushed me away from the stove the moment I turned it on"Tiffany said. "And Suge still eating"JoJo mumbled. Tiffany shot him a glare, "You gon stop talking about my husband"she mumbled. Devante walked over to me, kissing my cheek. "How was today"he said, a smirk on his face.

I knew what he was talking about. "I actually did pretty well, everything's going great"I said. He chuckled, "You think you could start doing this everyday"he said. I scoffed, "I don't think everyday, maybe every other day"I said. "And you two, you're always whispering about something"Dalvin said.

"Aye man, worry about your wife, I got mine"he said, kissing my cheek. "Mannn, whatever"Dalvin said. Let's just hope everything today goes as planned.