Quality over quantity

Daisy Clark-Battle scars, Declan J Donovan-Numb

*It's our turn now.' I reach for her hands and bring them together. 'You'll have the life you deserve.' I turn at her for a second and catch her crying. I can tell off of her expression that she has second thoughts. 'I swear to God, no one is going to hurt you!' She keeps looking out the window and I can just see her blank face full of tears fading more and more with each passing second. 'That, I promise you.' She zones out and looks at me. Her eyes light up as if nothing happened and her face looks more beautiful than ever, even with her bruises that make my heartache and those swollen up eyes, she is still the picture of perfection.

'Thank you.' My chest feels a slight tingle as it starts to warm up. Her state made me a firm believer and her smile made me realize that this is it, we are finally free! We can feel safe, we are going to be safe and as of now I don't have this massive pressure among me that's been holding me captive, stumbling in constant fear. This time I just know that everything will be alright!

'EL!!' Her scream makes me jump out of my bubble before those lights shine right at us. Before I could do anything, the tires start squeaking as the smell of burnt tires spreads over the highway. Every single window shatters down as the car starts shifting. Our bodies move to the left but the belts hold us in place. Every action, every sound or voice is slowed down. Even if it's only probably been 10 seconds, it feels like 10 minutes of torture! My stomach doesn't feel nauseous as it does other times when I'm scared. This time the fear spreads across my chest, starting at my heart and spreading all over. I close my eyes and start saying to myself; just stop! I want this to stop! Stop spinning, just end this! Soon enough the car stops and I manage to open my eyes. I look to the side and find her laying on her seat, covered in blood and glass. I automatically reach for her but before I could, I feel dizzy as everything around me moves in circles becoming one big black hole that just succked me in for good.*

My eyes widen as, all of a sudden, breathing became too much to handle. Fuck! I brush through my hair with my hand as I try to rub this nightmare away! My hands are still shaking making me annoyed with the state I'm at. Pictures from that night start flashing back even if I open my eyes. I find myself stumbling across the room, covering my eyes, trying to make it go away. I can hear the glass shuttering loudly as the whole room appears darker. I can feel my heart stopping as fear runs through my chest, killing everything inside of me.

'God, look at me!' After remembering every single detail from that night, I felt a pair of warm soft hands holding my arms together, making me stop shaking. The vision becomes clearer as the sounds in my head fade away. I look up and find a pair of blue eyes narrowed down, filled with worry looking at me. Why did you have to do that? Fuck! As I get back my senses, I can feel the cold floor we are on.

I can feel my face tighten from the dried-up tears that must have been there ever since I started the dream. I go down to my knees and sit down. He is out of breath, looking at me still holding my arms. My hand finds its place on his cheek as I look up to those beautiful eyes that my nightmare made darker, scared. I don't want him this way and I know damn well why the nightmare happened tonight.

'I have to go see her.' I look into his eyes. They look at me with such kindness, giving me comfort. He doesn't judge a single thing I say. He lets go of my arm, bringing his soft palms to my cheek, stroking it gently. I find myself closing my eyes, just concentrating on my breathing. His touch can calm any kind of storm inside of my body but at the same time, he can set one-off in an instant! I can still hear how hard we laughed yesterday, even when what both of us wanted to do was to run away. I know that I came here to run away from Jenny, but Niall has been running away too, aware of it or not, he is.