New Moon

Hogwarts was a maze, and even after several weeks, I still took wrong turns every now and then. Dumbledore gave me the luxury of being able to form my own schedule, which meant I slept during most of the peak of the day and patrolled the halls and grounds at night. Using my shadow animals, I was able to cover more ground. 

All the while, I kept a careful eye on my charts of the moon and its phases. When the new moon came, I sent a house-elf to Dumbledore with a message stating I wasn't feeling well. Being the generous man he was, he responded with nothing but well wishes and an offer to help if I needed it. 

Sitting in an armchair next to fire, I gripped a smooth obsidian stone in my hand. Running my thumb over the grounding stone, I stared into the flames lost in thought.

While I didn't need a wand or spoken spells, my power waned and waxed with the moon. A new moon always left me drained and weak. Leaning my head back, I took deep measured breaths even though that was enough to exhaust me. 

A sharp tapping on my door shook me awake and I growled, "It's open."

The Umbridge woman, who thankfully stayed well away from me most days, flung open my door and chirped in a shrill tone, "There is a student out of bed. You need to find them."

"I'm security, not a babysitter." I replied, "Besides, I'm not well."

"As an extension of the Minister, I order you to assist in finding the missing student." Her voice pierced my skull. I gave her a glaring look as I shakily stood up. 

"Fine then," I growled, "But if I keel over, you are responsible."