Why Do You Care?

When I woke, I found myself on a couch in an unfamiliar sitting room. Bolting upright, I looked around, trying to gain a sense of my surroundings. 

"Do you want to explain how your powers are tied to the moon?" Severus' voice made my head snap to the doorway, where the potions professor stood with his arms crossed. 

"What did you give me?" I ignored his question with one of my own. My head felt fuzzy even though I was awake. 

"I gave you something to stop seizing up before you choked on your tongue," Severus said agitatedly, "Now will you tell me what the bloody hell your powers have to do with the moon's phases?"

Scowling, I answered, "It's like the tides of the water, it ebbs and flows."

"I see," Severus's voice was a low growl before turning and going into the next room. I slowly got to my feet. By the time I was standing, Severus entered the room again, tossing a corked vial at me. I caught it and peered at the soft shimmering liquid. 

"Take that when the new moon rises." He said, "It will help stabilize your powers and keep you from falling over when Umbridge drags you out of bed." 

"Thank you," I replied quietly, wondering how he had done it. Moreover, why had he done it? 

"You can thank me by not concealing the weak spot in your power again," Severus retorted.

"Excuse you?" I shot back, clenching the vial in my fist. I considered throwing it in his face. Who the hell did he think he was?

"I don't owe you anything," I hissed, taking a step forward, "And if you thinking you can somehow cure me means I have to bend down and kiss your boots, then you can have it back."

With each angry word, I took another step until I was standing right in front of him. Severus had the good sense to look mildly surprised. 

"Why do you even care?" The question slipped out before I could stop it. 

Severus peered at me for a long moment before closing the gap between us. He reached up to cup the back of my head, his fingers winding through my hair. Before I could say anything, Severus pressed his lips to mine.