Into Place

Umbridge's words unsettled me, and to top it off, the new moon was approaching. The vial Severus had given me sat on my table next to my moon charts, untouched and gathering dust. I kept trying to decide whether or not to use it. 

The night before the new moon, I decided to keep to the castle's corridors. There were plenty of nooks and crannies to search and keep me occupied. Of course, that meant I had to patrol the dungeons. 

My footsteps were silent as I could possibly make them, my eyes scanning the dark corridors. I was trying to get through the dungeons as quickly as possible before I ran into...

"(Y/N), I'm surprised to see you down here." 

Swearing silently to myself, I turned to find Severus standing in the doorway to his office. Straightening my spine, I replied, "It's my job to patrol the corridors."

Before I could say any more, Severus took several steps towards me, grabbed my hand, pulled me into his office, and shut the door behind us. 

"I have nothing to say to you," I said, trying to sound more sure than I actually felt. In truth, my heart was hammering against my chest so loudly I was worried he could hear it. 

"Why?" The question tumbled out of my mouth before I could stop it, "Why help me?"

Severus looked me over before replying in a soft tone, "You have a strength within you I find inspiring."

As he spoke, he reached out and wound a lock of my hair around his finger. His dark eyes held mine and I suddenly realized he was very, very close. I placed my palms against his chest, meaning to push him away, but couldn't seem to do it. 

Slowly, Severus lowered his head and kissed me. This kiss was softer than the last, more imploring. Instead of freezing up and dissolving into a dark mist, I leaned into the kiss, closing my eyes. 

Severus wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer against him. I hadn't been kissed properly in years and kissing Severus was like taking a breath of air after being underwater. I wrapped my arms around his neck, the length of my body pressed to his.

Suddenly, my feelings clicked into place.