Cast Out

And like that, Severus and I were not on speaking terms again. I did my job and kept to myself, feeling more and more like an outsider as time went on. 

I watched as Umbridge took over the school more and more until she had succeeded in pushing out Dumbledore altogether. As soon as word came to me through the grapevine, I packed my bag. Then almost as if we were actors in some macabre play and sensed their cue, the Ministry booted me from my post and into the street. 

Without anywhere else to go for the moment, I rented a room above the Three Broomsticks. There, I hid in the semi-darkness, trying to formulate a plan. I should just go back to the States and my old life, there was nothing for me here. 

I decided to do just that after the new moon had passed. 

Even with my plan settled, I still hid. It was a dangerous time for anyone to be out and about. The Ministry had tightened its grip on the area. 

One evening, I stared into the flames of the fire in my hearth. Wrapped in a blanket, I mapped out a plan in my mind over and over. How I would get back to the States, where I would go, what I would do. 

I was so lost in my musings, I nearly jumped out of my skin when a knock sounded on my door.