Drained

Wrapped in a black robe, I followed Umbridge down the steps of the tower to where other professors were waiting. I noticed McGonagall and Severus, along with a few others I wasn't quite sure of yet. 

"Well," Umbridge snapped at me, "Use your shadows or something. Find them."

I gave her a mocking bow, summoning every ounce of magic in me. It took some effort, but I managed to dissolve into the shadows, my form moving like liquid through the dark corridors.  I could only make it a few minutes, but by then I was far enough from Umbridge I could solidify again. 

I felt as though I had run a marathon, leaning against the wall as my knees shook. I looked around the empty corridor listening for any wayward students. A giggle alerted me, drawing me to the girl's bathroom further down the corridor. 

Using the wall as a support, I followed the giggle. Two First Year girls were whispering over a book of love spells they had found somewhere. Why in the bathroom in the middle night was beyond me. 

"There are things worse than me lurking in these shadows," I grumbled, gripping their shoulders as I marched them back to the waiting professors. It was taking everything I had to stay upright. 

McGonagall laid into the students as soon as I appeared, going back and forth between scolding the girls and snapping at Umbridge, who was trying to overstep her boundaries. I was done, I just wanted to go back to my room and sleep.

My senses were so dull, I didn't know Severus following me until he stopped me at the foot of the tower stairs. 

"What is going on?" He looked over my drawn features and I knew I looked like death had warmed over. 

"I'm just sick is all." I excused myself, beginning to climb the stairs. I made it up only a few steps before my knees gave out. 

Severus caught me by the waist before I could hit the cold stone, lifting me up and carrying me up the stairs all the while growling, "That was a damned lie and you know it. This has something to do with those charts."