Scrambled Emotions

The kiss surprised me. Of everything he could have done, kissing me was the last thing I had expected. It was like the world stop turning right at that second. 

When he finally pulled back, slowly letting me go, I stood rooted to the spot. Time seemed to shift back into place as I looked across Severus' features. But trying to read him was like trying to read a blank book. 

Without knowing what else to do, I summoned every bit of power I could muster and dissolved into shadow, fleeing the room as fast as I could. I didn't rematerialize until I was in a corridor far away from Severus' rooms. 

Leaning against a wall, I gripped the vial in my palm. The cool glass was a sharp contrast to my warm skin, keeping me grounded in the present. Glancing both ways to make sure there was no one near, I allowed myself to slump to the ground in a bewildered heap. 

My emotions were scrambled together in an indecipherable mess. On one hand, I was still angry with Severus. On the other, I was touched he cared enough to try and help. And on yet another note...he had kissed me and I wasn't quite sure how to process it. 

I closed my eyes, trying to puzzle out my feelings. This was not what I had expected when I took the job Dumbledore offered me.