five

The trip to Jakku is fun

The trip to Jakku is fun...for me. I've been loudly asking Dameron annoying questions. He's been growling in frustration, but has not said a word.

We reach Jakku by nightfall, and I've never seen a pilot get out of a ship so fast. BB-8 lowers himself down, and Poe looks around at our surroundings.

We landed our ship behind hills of sand. Here, it should be mostly hidden from view. Directly behind the ship is a small village. Most of the lights are on, and people stand outside, shocked by our sudden appearance.

One person in particular catches my eye. I'm immediately drawn towards him.

"Remember," Dameron starts. "We're looking for someone named Lor San Tekka. He's old and-"

I cut Poe off by walking towards the village. The man turns and disappears into his house. Instead of a front door, he has wind chimes of sorts. It's pieces of hollow wood strung together and placed in front of his entrance. This way, he can know when someone comes in.

Behind me, I hear Poe protesting, but I ignore him.

I stalk into the village, and people shy away from me.

I keep my left hand on my blaster as I walk towards the mans house.

I push aside his curtain of wood, and step inside. The man sits on the ground, by a lit fire pit.

"Princess Leia?" He asks me. His eyes are filled with recognition and surprise.

I'm slightly taken aback. "I'm...sorry? I'm not Princess Leia."

"Oh." The man fixes his gaze on the fire. "I'm sorry. You must be Wren Solo. As I've heard, the likeness between you and your mother is uncanny."

"Ah." I say, trying to understand. This man must have known my mother. Before the First Order.

It's silent for a moment.

"Are you Lor San Tekka?" I finally ask.

"Yes I am child." He, Tekka, says without looking up.

"I'm not a child." I say.

Suddenly, Poe bursts through the door, hand on his blaster holder. BB-8 is right on his heels, per usual.

"Birdy! You can't just run away like that!" Poe gasps out. He surveys our surroundings before removing his hand from his thigh.

"Oh! And this must be Commander Poe Dameron. Princess Leia told me you were coming." Tekka states.

Poe cocks his head to the side, and sits down next to me.

"We're here for-"

"The map. Yes I know." Tekka says. He reaches behind him, and pulls out a small satin bag. He places it in my hand, and I fold my fingers around it. Tekka places his hand over mine.