fifteen

My X-wing lands faster than I expected it to, and before BB-12 has even assessed the damage, my feet have already hit the pavement

My X-wing lands faster than I expected it to, and before BB-12 has even assessed the damage, my feet have already hit the pavement. I throw my helmet to the side.

I'm running, looking for him. I swing my eyes around, and we see each other. I push aside my sadness and run towards him.

We meet in the middle of the pavement in front of the Resistance base. Poe grabs me in a hug, and spins me around. My hands are around his neck, and my face is buried in his chest,

We stand like that for a couple seconds before he pulls away and rests his forehead against mine.

I don't push him away, or even react. I stand there, my arms still hanging loosely around his neck. Both of our eyes are trained on the grounds.

"I was so...worried Wren." He says to me.

"I know. But you have to trust me. I'm skilled and I know my way around the cockpit." I whisper to him. "And you were worried about me? You're the one that flew into the oscillator." I let out a dry laugh.

I glance up at Poe and see that he's already looking down at me.

He leans his head down ever so slightly, and when we breathe, we can feel each other.

I raise myself on my tip toes and our lips press against each other's. Slowly at first, hesitant, but eventually we get the rhythm.

After a minute, I pull away. I turn my head on Poe's chest so I'm facing the front of the Resistance base. Poe runs one hand through my hair, and presses his head to the top of mine.

I see my mother watching us among the Resistance members who are celebrating. Nobody is really paying attention to us. She smiles at me, but it doesn't quite reach her eyes. And in that instant, I know she felt it too. Dad's passing.

I give her a halfhearted smile. She gives me a knowing look, her eyes shifting between Poe and I.

I begin to blush and shut my eyes.

"My mother saw that." I say, looking up at Poe.

"General...saw that?" He asks me. I nod. Poe breathes out a puff of air.

"I'm in trouble aren't I?"

"No." I say. I lean away from Poe and reach for his hand. He gives it to me, and I intertwine our fingers. "I think she approves."

"Well that's good." Poe and I turn to face the crowd in front of the Resistance base. People are hugging and cheering. But people are also mourning. In the back, I can see someone being led off on a medical stretcher. A girl exits the Falcon, and her eyes scan the crowd. I watch my mother turn to her. They step towards each other and embrace. I wonder how they know each other.

"We're...safe." I whisper to Poe.

"We're safe." He responds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~