twenty nine

All around the Falcon, there's a heavy sense of loss

All around the Falcon, there's a heavy sense of loss. It's surrounds everybody and there's no escape from it. It fills every corner. It fills your nose and slides down your throat, settling at the base of your stomach like a heavy weight. And I've had enough of it.

I glance around the ship. It's filled with sleeping people. Bodies shift and people mumble. But by now, most everybody's asleep.

I stand up lightly, trying not to wake Finn and Rey. I've been around them more often know. Poe has been disappearing for hours on end.

I can never seem to find him. I know all the ins-and-outs of this ship and somehow, Poe still manages to stay impossible to find.

I creep around people, trying not to step on any hands or hair.

Once I've reached the hallway to the cockpit, I let out a quiet sigh. I walk the rest of the way, and find myself sitting down beside Chewie.

The Wookiee lets out a growl, asking why I'm not asleep.

"Dad." I admit, hanging my head in my hands. "And Ben."

Chewie lets out a sad and quiet growl. We've both been grieving in our own way. I run my hands over the Falcons dash board, admiring the bright buttons.

The Falcon may be old, but she is definitely well kept.

"You know Chewie, you should get some sleep." I say.

Chewie growls out something that sounds like I know.

I sigh, knowing I'm not getting to get him to change his mind. I stare out the cockpit window at the blurring blue lights rushing past.

Somehow, I fall asleep. My dreams are still plagued by Dad, and my years of memories. But, this is not a nightmare. It's a happy dream. And one I wish was reality.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awake with a start, sitting forward quickly.

There's bright sunlight shining directly in my eyes. I shield them and turn away from the windows.

"Chewie where are we?" I groan.

The Wookiee lets out a growl.

"We haven't even reached the Outer Rim yet?"

Chewie shakes his head. I sigh and close my eyes, leaning back in my chair.

Someone knocks lightly on the doorway. I crack an eye open and catch sight of my mom.

She beckons me towards her. I stand up and follow her to the main area of the Falcon.

Most everybody is up now, save for a few late sleepers.

I sit down around the holotable with Rey and Finn. They're both engaged in a game of Dejarik, and by the looks of it, Rey is winning.

As one of Rey's monster smashes Finn's, he lets out a low sigh.